2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tickin' Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Futbolplayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late reply...the tickin' noise is there when the engine is warm and/or cold...it stays pretty consistent...I might have to get a stethoscope to see exactly where it is coming from...I am thinking that it might be a lifter that has started to stick a little bit over time...

I am curious if I ran seafoam through the crankcase and intake, would it help?!?

Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by Futbolplayer; 04-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by Futbolplayer
I am curious if I ran seafoam through the crankcase and intake, would it help?!?

Thanks for the help!!!
I tried a qt of Rislone in the crankcase and it hasn't helped. I think all of those additives are intended to do the same thing.

A friend of mine has a mechanic that suggested running a heavier weight of motor oil, like 20W-50. Anyone ever try that?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
tssiTanker
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply...the tickin' noise is there when the engine is warm and/or cold...it stays pretty consistent...I might have to get a stethoscope to see exactly where it is coming from...I am thinking that it might be a lifter that has started to stick a little bit over time...

Thanks for the help!!!
Just saying, but on this old chevy I used to have an exhaust manifold leak on, it didn't matter if it was hot or cold the ticking was still there. I ran every engine additive through it I could buy before I figured out it was an exhaust manifold leak. Tightened the bolts up and the noise was gone.
Also if you have an old piece of rubber hose laying around, you could use that instead of buying a stethoscope. Works just a well.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
5hundo
Professional

Sorry for the late reply...the tickin' noise is there when the engine is warm and/or cold...it stays pretty consistent
That's most likely the rear-most bolt on the driver's side exhaust manifold. I've sheard that thing a couple times in my 175K...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
gassmann66
Amateur

got the same problem but on the passenger side, really noticable on start up but practically goes away after warmed up unless your right by the passenger fender, the bolts are just so friggen hard to get at

Quick Reply: Tickin' Noise