2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tickin' Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Futbolplayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tickin' Noise

Hey I have a 2003 QC 4.7L with 120k on it.

For the past year there has been a ticking noise on the right side of the block by the exhaust manifold that has started...It was quiet at first but has started to become really noticeable...I can hear it clearly through my Gibson dual exhaust...It has been suggested to me that the exhaust manifold could be warped and leaking air but that does not seem correct...I am not sure exactly where it is coming from...

I am worried that it might a valve or something inside the engine...I am wondering if anybody has had the same issue and/or know how to deal with it?!? Don't have a lot of money to drop on it due to me being a college student... :-/

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the ticking go away after it has warmed up? if so its the exhaust manifold.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust manifold ticks are quite common on 4.7's. Since you said it's coming from that area, it is more than likely the issue. Could be the gasket is cracked or the manifold is warped.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
5hundo
Professional

Is it just when you start up for the 1st time for the day? ...when the engine is cold?

If so, it's probably lash adjusters; especially since you said that you're worried it might be "a valve inside the engine". 120k miles is about the time it could start, too.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Or for another possibility, if its only at warm low idle it could be low oil pressure. Mine did that real bad before I replaced the galled cam shaft. Once the oil is hot (and thinner), too much of leaked past the galled cam, dropping oil pressure. After replacing the cam, the tick is still there, but not as bad as before. Next oil change I'll go to heavier oil.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by ksJoe
Or for another possibility, if its only at warm low idle it could be low oil pressure. Mine did that real bad before I replaced the galled cam shaft. Once the oil is hot (and thinner), too much of leaked past the galled cam, dropping oil pressure. After replacing the cam, the tick is still there, but not as bad as before. Next oil change I'll go to heavier oil.
Brief thread-jack:

When you replaced your cam, did you just use an OEM replacement, or did you go with an aftermarket option?

I have to replace my lash adjusters too but I'm debating whether or not I should replace the camshaft, timing set, rockers, and tensioners while I'm "in the neighborhood". If I do a whole valve-train, overhaul, I'm wondering what my best replacement options are for the camshaft.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can go to oriley or autozone and get your self a 10 dollar mech's stethoscope and you can search from exactly where the sound is coming from; rather its the exuast man; the coupler; the heads; the valve covers; injectors and so on..

for 7 bucks more you can find a sears and get one with a lifetime unconditonal warranty. well worth the extra 7 bucks

Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5hundo
Brief thread-jack:

When you replaced your cam, did you just use an OEM replacement, or did you go with an aftermarket option?
Used OEM.

Enough people upgrade them, there are some sitting around in garage's because people don't want to throw away a perfectly good part. The problem is, if you post in the buy/sell section of a forum, very few people see it. If you post your want add in the general discussion area, it will get you reprimanded.

So the trick is to ask in the general discussion area for tips on how to where to find a used one. You'll get some predictable suggestions for ebay & craig's list. But if you're lucky, the wide visibility will get you an offer of someones old part that's sitting in their garage.

BTW, I think I paid $4 for my mechanic's stethoscope at HF.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 AM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by ksJoe
So the trick is to ask in the general discussion area for tips on how to where to find a used one. You'll get some predictable suggestions for ebay & craig's list. But if you're lucky, the wide visibility will get you an offer of someones old part that's sitting in their garage.
I dunno...

I'm kind-of thinking that if I'm going to pull the camshaft out, I might as well replace it with a new, OEM or aftermarket camshaft. Probably worth a couple hundred dollars for piece of mind...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Fleet Guy
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Exhaust manifold ticks are quite common on 4.7's. Since you said it's coming from that area, it is more than likely the issue. Could be the gasket is cracked or the manifold is warped.
Good post and is #1 on my list of what to check on a 4.7 with this complaint. I've seen many, many exhaust manifold bolts/studs rust out and pop out.

Quick Reply: Tickin' Noise