2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dakota cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
bdunegan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dakota cutting out

i have a 2002 dakota with the 3.9 v-6 and 5 speed trans. quad cab. It started cutting out and while at a stop light, went down to nothing and would not take any gas. finally picked it up and went on. got to where were going and getting ready to leave, it wouldnt start. cycled key off and on and finally started. drove home and cutting out seemed like when accelerating and going up hill. classic symptoms of fuel pump or filter. changed assembly and when taking old pump out, the strainer was loose in tank, not connected to pump so i thought this was problem. replaced entire assembly(pump, strainer, and pressure regulater is all together. drove today, and doing same thing. seems to be worse after engine warms up. is not throwing any codes as per diagnostic scan or turning on any warning lights. i am wondering now maybe coil is heating up and breaking down. anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Quick Reply: dakota cutting out