2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help, 01 dakota quad buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Jermbubba
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should pass on this one man, There are plenty of sub 5000 quads around . If you can wait take your time and find one in better condition. You might have to check other areas but it will worth it. try Columbia CL as well as Charlotte.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM
tehzohan44
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jermbubba
I think you should pass on this one man, There are plenty of sub 5000 quads around . If you can wait take your time and find one in better condition. You might have to check other areas but it will worth it. try Columbia CL as well as Charlotte.
this is the first quad ive seen for under 6k in charlotte over the last 2 months and this one has everything!!, its sport and slt, and if you think about it, by the time i buy a cover, rack, running boards, and a hitch for a different truck it will be about a grand anyhow which is about the repairs but i will be much cheaper if i do them with my friends dad who knows what hes doing(and thats not including leather seats, power seat, stereo controls on the wheel and awd) but i will keep looking and see if i should pass

Most of that stuff is pretty easy. The outer tire wear on the tire concerns me; could be bad inflation or worth front-end parts. They said your undercarriage looked good, though.

The seals leaking is also a concern. You're going to have to be very diligent about checking your oil. As long as they don't leak too much, you'll be okay.
ill check my oil as often as needed, whatever truck i end up with, it will be my baby, my truck>everything else

Last edited by tehzohan44; 04-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
tehzohan44
Amateur

Look what i found!!!!!!!!!!
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2942569422.html2001 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab Magnum V8 4.7L with 107,500 miles for $4900, my grandpa who owns a 2001 dodge ram 3500 and an 1991 ram 2500 and knows alot more about trucks than i do lives up there and can check it out for me, looks good besides the dent but there are a bunch of beds on craigslist down here in NC if we cant repair it

Last edited by tehzohan44; 04-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

Rust is one huge thing to be concerned about. If it appears bad on initial look, it's most likely much worse. The Chicago truck looks great, the lower mileage is mighty nice and it's setup very well but Chicago is just as bad as the north east, if not worse with road salt and the resulting corrosion.

Just be careful and make sure you cover your butt!

Truth be told, I bought my Dakota out of my desperation and need for a work truck. I totally had blinders on and I paid DEARLY for that mistake. I've had my Dakota since October. It was sold to me from a Mom & Pop dealer without legally being road worthy (I accept half that blame).

As of yesterday and well over a thousand dollars later, it's finally legal - just legal. I still have several issues to get fixed; two being the upper vents not blowing any air and the fact that my heat and cool **** does nothing - only pushes hot air through the floor vents. ...This summer is going to be extra brutal looking at that AC selection knowing I can't get any cold air out of it.
There are so many things to look out - it's overwhelming.

Sorry about the tangent.

Anyways be careful and keep your wits about ya.
Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Jermbubba

as others have echoed, just take your time man if you can. you might have to drive a few hours to get the right one. I did a quick search for you within a couple of hours of you here what i found.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/2883017007.html

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2940668315.html

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2899782721.html

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/2879114944.html

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ctd/2911861525.html

Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Chicago dak looks pretty nice aside from the dent, make sure the frame is still fine though.

I can understand as a young guy that you are anxious as hell to jump on your first truck, but I can almost guarentee you that if you just buy the first one you see you're gonna be in a money pit.

I have my Dak with no rust aside from the usual wheelwells just starting to peel. It has 45,000 kilometres, not miles and I paid 4900 total. It does have a misfire from hell, but I'm sure that'll be fixed this summer.

All in all... if you actually THINK that the truck you wanna get it is WORTH it. Then go for it. Or else you'll be throwing what that truck is worth on top of what you paid for it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
tehzohan44
Amateur

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
That Chicago dak looks pretty nice aside from the dent, make sure the frame is still fine though.

I can understand as a young guy that you are anxious as hell to jump on your first truck, but I can almost guarentee you that if you just buy the first one you see you're gonna be in a money pit.
The frame is fine, i talked to the guy last night, and yes i am very anxious and impatient, im trying to be patient but its hard to do, i think im gunna hold off on the white truck in nc and the rust and keep looking, thanks everyone for all the advice so far

Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
tehzohan44
Amateur

Originally Posted by tehzohan44
The frame is fine, i talked to the guy last night, and yes i am very anxious and impatient, im trying to be patient but its hard to do, i think im gunna hold off on the white truck in nc and the rust and keep looking, thanks everyone for all the advice so far
grrrrrr, my grandpa went and check out the truck last night, it was perfect minus the dent, everything was mint but they were gunna get it looked at by a shop today and then 30min after they left somebody else bought it... The search continues

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by tehzohan44
Look what i found!!!!!!!!!!
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2942569422.html2001 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab Magnum V8 4.7L with 107,500 miles for $4900, my grandpa who owns a 2001 dodge ram 3500 and an 1991 ram 2500 and knows alot more about trucks than i do lives up there and can check it out for me, looks good besides the dent but there are a bunch of beds on craigslist down here in NC if we cant repair it
I saw this Kota on CL last night, it's literally like 5-10 minutes away from me lol. Even has factory navigation! Too bad I already have mine and a 78 F250 project lol.

EDIT: And +2 on waiting til you find a good one. I'm 17 almost 18 now and have had my Kota since August of 2010, and I'm really glad we waited for this one to come along. It's got it's little problems that I've had to fix every now and then, but compared to some of the ones I looked at (and fell in love with), mine is mint. Same thing happened when I was looking for my older truck project. I looked at a few trucks and loved and wanted to jump right on every one I looked at, but am glad I waited for the one I bought because it was a real good deal. I know it's hard to wait, but it'll be worth it once you find the right one.

Last edited by dirtbiker; 04-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM
tehzohan44
Amateur

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
I saw this Kota on CL last night, it's literally like 5-10 minutes away from me lol. Even has factory navigation! Too bad I already have mine and a 78 F250 project lol.

EDIT: And +2 on waiting til you find a good one. I'm 17 almost 18 now and have had my Kota since August of 2010, and I'm really glad we waited for this one to come along. It's got it's little problems that I've had to fix every now and then, but compared to some of the ones I looked at (and fell in love with), mine is mint. Same thing happened when I was looking for my older truck project. I looked at a few trucks and loved and wanted to jump right on every one I looked at, but am glad I waited for the one I bought because it was a real good deal. I know it's hard to wait, but it'll be worth it once you find the right one.
nice, so you live by lake villa or what? and ya its so hard to wait, now im anxious that i wont find one good enough compared to that one but im sure i will. patience is so hard!!!!!

Quick Reply: Help, 01 dakota quad buying