2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
mmguy18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my 2000. With 2 1/2 pipes and 3" chrome tips striaght out back. Sounds great.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
2001DakotaSLT

I know the threads kinda old but maybe ill still get some feedback. I have a 2001 QC SLT with the 4.7 and the factory off-road package with the skid plates and the lift on it. I was told by the previous owner that my truck had the larger capacity fuel tank, 24 gallons I'm pretty sure? I'm looking for a true dual side/rear exit exhaust system for it (right behind the rear tires). I've never dropped the skids on it so I'm not sure if its even possible to cram 2 separate mufflers under there but I was just wondering if there was anybody out there in the same situation and what they did to hook their ride up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Sean

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
2001DakotaSLT

BTW I didn't mean to jack anyone's thread, when I reread it kinda seemed like that's what I did so I apologize. Figured I was still under the same roof as the thread's owner and discussion had died down for a few weeks but if I did thread jack someone i apologize

Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Dutch283

@ 2001DakotaSLT
I am running into the same issue. I have a 2002 Dakota QC w/ 4.7l and am thinking its time for some upgrades. K&N 57 CAI, Gibson GP307S Headers, dual high-flow cats (brand undetermined) and then Cherry Bomb Vortex dual-dual. I will probably have the stuff professionally installed so I don't have to diagnose every little rattle from my less-than-perfect installation.
You can get mufflers that are "skinny" enough to run the true dual, but they are all glass-packs. unless you get a dual-in, dual-out muffler you won't be able to fit anything under there. You could offset the mufflers so they are not next to each other, but then you increase the chances of rattling since the pipes would practically be touching the mufflers. Unless you are trying to say you want one exhaust tip on one side of the truck and the other on the other side, which would just require more piping after the muffler to solve since you can run the pipe right past the spare tire, but with a lot of heat shielding on it.
hope this little bit of troubleshooting helps both of us.

Quick Reply: 4.7 dual exhaust