2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny? Electrical? Module? 98 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
dakota200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny? Electrical? Module? 98 5.2

My dakota has had an intermittent stall problem when going from reverse to drive. Now I have more symptons...same problem or all different??

Yesterday, I went out for bagels in the morning. I got to the traffic light about a mile from my house. From a stop, I hit the gas and the rpms went up but the truck didnt move, then BANG, it went into drive and stalled. Started it right up, and drove without a problem.

Later, I went to start it, and it didn't make a noise...then tried again and started without a hitch.

It did it again later when it was cold...all are right after its been sitting and engine and tranny cold or slightly warmed up.

Other than that, even after each instance, the truck runs like a top. Shifts perfectly (automatic), idles at 600rpms without any jumping in idle...great throttle response. No noises from engine or tranny at all.

I do have a small leak from my tranny pan...either a gasket or the dip stick holder....but its only minor, and only when idling for a while...no leak when off.

thanks..im baffled.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
BCP Service
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid ..

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
dakota200

The fluid level hasn't gone down... Its just a small drip.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
dakota200

Uh...i take that back...yup...fluid.

Turns out the last guy that worked on my truck and removed the tranny, left the dipstick holder barely hanging on.

Today it gushed fluid when i put it in. A crow bar, hammer from top side...reseated the holder and no leak, truck runs fine...

the last time i checked the fluid it was fine but i guess it gushed at some pint and dropped the level significantly.

Quick Reply: Tranny? Electrical? Module? 98 5.2