2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Well here we go again A/C fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb I guess I could of

I guess I could of just opened it up and cleaned all the contacts and put it back together but at that time I wasn’t sure it could be opened up like that and it did get some heat damage on the plastic cover melted some of it so better off changing out the controller like I did was best.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Well I got bored sooooo

Well I got bored so I took off the middle selector the one that selects heat, cold, A/C, off and this is what I found the switch was way over gooped up with contact lube as to muck it up and cause bad contacts I guess who ever put my controller together was lube happy. I could see were the lube was causing some arching at the contacts and some cross talk.

Well I cant complain too much it did last me 14 years.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking More good news

More good news I found out it is easy to fix my melted connector the ebay controller I got came with the old connector still attached they just cut the wires to get it out of the car so it had a connector on it and I found out its easy to pop the old wires off by removing the white bar on the bottom and bam all the wires come out with a little coaxing.

So tomorrow I will redo it and fix my melted connector

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Unhappy Damage parts

Well here is a pic of the melted connector it just melted on the two very thick power connections.

I replaced the connector today with the spare one so now everything is back to like new again just the way I like it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up Update

Well I decided to remove the ebay A/C controller I installed last week today and open it up and see if it was dirty and all gooped up like my controller was and boy was I glad I did it was gooped up as bad if not worse than my controller was. So I cleaned it all up like new and reinstalled it one thing I noticed is the spring that puts the pressure on my fan speed switch on both the ebay one and my original had weakened over time so a little stretching was in order because I want these contacts to be solid and strong I don’t want to have it get hot and melt my controller again I want this to last me another 6 years or more.

I’m planning on removing my dash and remove the HVAC box and swap it out with another box that I will buy and renovate this next winter I hope to get me a used HVAC box in the next week or so to start work on.