2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny quit working then worked today

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
jbhodj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny quit working then worked today

1995 Dodge Dakota 5.2L 4x4 with 160K

Tranny didnt want to go into reverse, made a whirring sound when I tried. Went into drive and seemed to shift in OD fine until later when it stopped working altogether. No forward or reverse and going into park had a sound like it was not fully going into park.

Truck was towed home, sat in drive all day and then today when I was letting someone else listed to the sound I heard, the truck went into forward, reverse and park with no slippage, sounds or issue.

Didnt have any signs or fluids leaking. Tranny fluid is red, smells fine I guess. No fluids leaking. Sounds I heard were not clunking or grinding, more like gears not engaging fully I guess.

Worse case I thought was tranny was bad at first until I started it up today and it seems to be back to normal.

Thoughts on what I maybe dealing with would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need a rebuild or swap the tranny. but i don't have much exp. with transmission work. i usually take it to the shop for that.

Quick Reply: Tranny quit working then worked today