2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

clicking and pop sound in steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
vintagedak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking and pop sound in steering

Hey..

First post and love the forum. Here's a pic of my dak, 2002 3.9L club 4X4. Bumper redone, few more mods coming (Flowmaster exhaust, lift)

Anyway, have a problem with a clicking/popping sound when turning and steering..really hear something loose when going over bumps (almost sounds like ball joints are a problem, but those are new). Had the Dodge looked at and they said that upper u joint in the steering shaft is loose causing it to jump on the column (loose not broken). They recommended complete steering column replacements-$1600! I was shocked! Bad experiences with shops here, scamming mechanics trying to gouge so I'm not very trusting

No pull or problem with alignment. Started doing some looking on the interweb and came across this link and found it interesting because it describes my problem:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...e-dakota-2.htm

there is the part there "Steering noise: Snapping or clicking noise in steering caused by defective upper bearing retainer for which there is a fix kit."

Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dak.jpg (54.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LKQ replacement shaft would save you ALOT...

Quick Reply: clicking and pop sound in steering