2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Read Here: Chevy HHR Fan MOD! READ if your thinking of doing this!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Question What year

What year of Grand Cherokee are we talking about?

That would help.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my final Review of this HHR fan..

I took it out yesterday.. Temp was 91, Feels like was 99, humidity=Hell.. LOL?

Stop and go traffic.. with AC on.. 210... Truck idled up like it normally would do with a fan clutch.. so temps rose.. climbed over 210.. fan could not cool it down even with weather stripping.

This fan might work in area's that do not get as hot or humid as Texas.. but in my opinion for my truck, motor, and summer time heat this fan does not cut it at all..

The stock fan really does pull more air at idle than this fan running full blast.

I will be removing this from my truck and replacing with something better soon.

Final thoughts: I would not recommend this fan any longer... at least for my application as listed.

Originally Posted by User
Grand Cherokee fans plugs right into the factory harness and moved 5,000cfm. It's ~50$ from the dealership. Can't beat it.
Are we sure? Do we have any proof of this? I mean Like thunder says it's supposed to pull 3K off the Chevy HHR fan but there is just no way.. I'm not sure where he seen that at.. but..

The stock fan at idle speed of 500-600 Pulls more air than this fan and even greater when engaged.

If the Grand Cherrokee has a shroud and actually pulls good volume.. (and we can verify) and it fits the Rad surface area.. I might go this route. but im about just to buy and aftermarket fan.. and hook it up..

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 05-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy

Stop and go traffic.. with AC on.. 210... Truck idled up like it normally would do with a fan clutch.. so temps rose.. climbed over 210.. fan could not cool it down even with weather stripping.

This fan might work in area's that do not get as hot or humid as Texas.. but in my opinion for my truck, motor, and summer time heat this fan does not cut it at all..

The stock fan really does pull more air at idle than this fan running full blast.

Final thoughts: I would not recommend this fan any longer... at least for my application as listed.

Are we sure? Do we have any proof of this? I mean Like thunder says it's supposed to pull 3K off the Chevy HHR fan but there is just no way.. I'm not sure where he seen that at.. but..

The stock fan at idle speed of 500-600 Pulls more air than this fan and even greater when engaged.

If the Grand Cherrokee has a shroud and actually pulls good volume.. (and we can verify) and it fits the Rad surface area.. I might go this route. but im about just to buy and aftermarket fan.. and hook it up..

Im not sure what years but our 04 grand doesnt even use a mechanical fan. This goes for the 4.0 l6 and 4.7 v8. This was pic was taken last year down in fl sittin on 95 in stop in go traffic with the a/c on. 04 grand cherokee 4.7 v8 sat at about 210-220.

0706101511.jpg

Also got to remember if your coolant is old it doesnt cool as well. Your rad could be clogged in some places and not getting the full potential out of it.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-11-2022)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy

I just think your cooling system is bad, because on both of my trucks I have ran the stock electric fan without the clutch and they do fine in texas heat. I replaced the thermostat with a 180 temp so that helps, and Sean was able to turn on the fan sooner using SCT.

You will have to make your own shroud, and brackets to mount it. It's a custom setup, many people use it.

If your not sure about that then just drop the dime and buy a Viper fan, comes with a shroud with flaps that open up at highway speeds to allow air through the radiator (after about 60mph or so the fan is worthless) actually covering up the whole area with shroud is not good for highway, it's actually more restricting. I didn't even use a shroud on either of my trucks.

I know the fan works, I have already dealt with them, along with the viper fans. Your turn to do research here is the PN of the fan... CBG4F250

online around 86, dealership should have them for around $50. Flow between 4000-5000cfm

if you can't spend $50 on a fan, you don't need to be trying to mod this truck. That's cheap to all the other **** you have to buy. I know!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

No worries about the cash i spent 57 on this fan.. i think i can pay 50 for another.. matter a fact im shopping now for one as we speak.

Cooling system works fine.. I did a full back flush on the system and an actual chemical flush last year and my fluid tested fine. Water pump works fine.. no cloggs in the system either.. all area's are same temp* when i tested it to make sure. Also fluid still tests good.

Bottom line here is the fan does not pull enough bottom line the fan clutch pulls more air. this is about the lack of volume of air. My fan clutch did its job and kept it good; but this is about just removing the clutch and allow an electric fan to do the job and not rob power in traffic.

With the stock fan clutch it sits about 180 fine.. and 190 in stop go traffic.. last year during 100+ heat the truck would get to about 195-200 sitting idle. but never over.

Sorry guys. This fan does not cut it. That's my review.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah i seen the viper fan and shroud.. with the little 'flaps' its cool but over priced for what i want, if i was going to pay that i would just buy it or the flex-alite black magic for the Dodge dakota.

Also the fan is rated for 2400 CFM.. as well as the Mopar replacement fan was about the same a well.. Dunno where you guys get these big numbers at??? Enlighten me please.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 16" 2800 CFM fan and upgrade to a custom made shroud later.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
User
Champion

Should be 19" Diameter 3" thick. Not 16" you have the wrong fan. Call a dealership and ask for the 19" GC repo fan.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 AM
User
Champion

Here hopefully this will make things easier. Photos, part numbers, and instructions...

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=100352

V8Cowboy (10-06-2021)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah that is a nice looking fan... I was also looking at the 2002 Jeep Liberty Fan as well. You can never find the true CFM's of these fans.. all speculation of sorts..

Seems my initial findings of the HHR fan is 1200 range or even below.. I think I'll call the dealer on these parts and see if i can get some clarification.. I bet anything they wont have the information.

Shroud part number =52079489AB
Fan part number=CBG4F250

V8Cowboy (10-06-2021)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed to post this.

I'm going to have to replace my HHR e-fan. Yesterday I had to pick up my daughter from the airport which is about 30 miles away (60 miles round trip). The temp was 93 degrees and I wanted to use my A/C for the first time. The drive is all 75mph highway speeds. I have a 195 degree thermostat and the whole way there the truck ran at 203 degrees. Sometimes going down to 199 but then a minute later it would go back up to 203. When I got to the car park waiting area I idled for 15 minutes to see if the engine temp would cool down but it never got below 201.

On the way home it ran at 201 degrees (the outside temp had dropped a tad) but wouldn't drop any lower until I got into town with the lower speeds and then it dropped to 198.

I'll be looking for a new fan and shroud (I don't want to modify the stock shroud).

Quick Reply: Read Here: Chevy HHR Fan MOD! READ if your thinking of doing this!