2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Read Here: Chevy HHR Fan MOD! READ if your thinking of doing this!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That it's doing.. just not to the degree I was hoping for. My stock Fan/Clutch assembly keeps the truck at a nice 180 degree this one sits slightly above that i would estimate 185-190. Where the Clutch Fails or lacks is in heavy stop/Go traffic. And then the excess power its pulling to bring temps back down when it engages.

So by my estimates this fan is going to run a little hotter; I'm sure it will keep it at a decent temp.. but it's not what I was hoping for.

Ive been thinking over last night; If i find a better fan blade assembly to put on this one.. or b. engineer the fan shroud to extend all the way to the base some how or seal up between the Rad/AC to really get the fan to full potential.?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed mine I used weatherstripping all the way around the fan shroud so that it was sealed up nicely. And then I aluminum taped that big gap on the top passenger side as well as any other smaller holes to try and get it to pull as much air through the radiator as possible.

I have also moved my probe to the top of the radiator and set the controller so that it keeps the temp at 194 (I use a 195 degree thermostat). The fan comes on more now but the temp is less "spikey" with the probe in that position vs much lower in the radiator. It keeps it at a pretty constant 190 - 194 degrees. Unfortunately it hasn't been hot enough here yet to give it a good and proper test. It's only hit 83 degrees and it really needs to be 90 and above before I'll feel good about it's cooling capabilities (well that and a heavy tow up the mountain pass).

Last edited by spshultz; 05-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Maybe

Change my post looking at you pic's that would be a wast of money and time.

Just seal it up some may help.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yea sounds like the fan is only going to be able to keep it around 190-195 at best..

For those like me running at a lower temp.. it's not going to cut it. with out a better fan shroud..

Let me think on it a bit.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
PonchoRob
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh great , now i see this review post AFTER i already bought a brand new fan and Hayden controller and a ford 70 amp relay with the resistor and diode inside to keep unwanted electrical feedback from frying the controller ,, all brand new stuff still in the boxes waiting for me to get the time to install them ,,, what to do , what to do ,,,, ,, on another note , my old `85 trans-am had a single electric fan from the factory and it was mounted sorta centered in the radiator with no fan shroud , and it kept the tpi 305 with a/c and all power options cool with no problems , and there isnt really any open front grill area to pass alot of air through like there is on our trucks ,,, something to think about i guess

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I'm currently running mine off toggle switch... so far.. have not gotten in heavy stop/go traffic but so far if keeps it with in spec temps.. just not as low as id like it..

Still have not taken it out into heavy stop/go traffic yet as that will be the real test as well when temps reach 100+ here in Texas.. Looks like we are going to have another round of drought.

Now that Ive been running it a little bit.. I really feel the fan could* possibly maintain the temps where i want them if* I was to modify the shroud to cover the entire* Rad. I think it would pull enough air at that point.. instead of leaving hot sections.. that 2-4" of rad thats not getting any air flow at idle.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Update:

90 Degree today.. humidity -Hell..

Truck stayed about 195.. Not bad.. running full time.. 180 Stat..

Even though it does not keep it where id like it..
Ill give it just credit.. it keeps it at a safe temp so far..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
cpberry1
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One suggestion, if you didn't discard it, is to modify your oem shroud which covered the entire radiator to fit this fan on the back of it. You'll perhaps have to shorten it and fab up some straps - I have that fan installed and it's working fine, but thought about modifying mine to use the oem shroud - just haven't gotten around to it yet...
Patrick

Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I thought about that actually.. the whole is a little bigger though.. not sure how it would be done.. to make a good seal.. and support properly. IDK yet.. im still considering things.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grand Cherokee fans plugs right into the factory harness and moved 5,000cfm. It's ~50$ from the dealership. Can't beat it.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Read Here: Chevy HHR Fan MOD! READ if your thinking of doing this!