2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

OEM Brake Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy has turned me to napa gold stuff. Great warranty and its built real well. I would have a set on my ram right now if it didnt just have the brakes done before I got it. I think the bigger brakes should fit as long as you have the 16in wheel. Granted the dakota brakes have never been that great and I know for a fact even tho my ram is 3k lb heavier I could stop way quicker than my dakota ever could.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am partial to NAPA also. I bought the front rotors with a lifetime warranty. Using their highest grade semi-metallic pads. I don't think ceramics are worth it yet.

About to do the rear brakes this weekend. How bad of a job is that? I'm not worried about the difficulty, I have swapped out the whole drivetrain.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbilik
I am partial to NAPA also. I bought the front rotors with a lifetime warranty. Using their highest grade semi-metallic pads. I don't think ceramics are worth it yet.

About to do the rear brakes this weekend. How bad of a job is that? I'm not worried about the difficulty, I have swapped out the whole drivetrain.
I take it you have drums? Its not that hard makes it a 100 times easier if you have a spring tool! Boy I sure dont miss having drums! lol

Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I have drums. I will make sure to get the tools. I actually enjoy working on the truck when I have the right tools. Makes all the difference.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Earlrabbit
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't take me long after buying my 00 3.9 before I decided to upgrade my brakes as well. I went with Brembo slotted rotors (for a little bling) with Hawk HPS pads. Noticable improvement.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
dimitry03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ceramic pads don't stop you any better then semi metallic or organic. the only way ceramic pads will do you good and stop you better is when they get hot. but unless you get performance ceramic pads getting them hot will only ruin them. ceramic pads are only designed to have less brake dust. not provide better stopping power. stick with the oe semi metallics. try wagner thermo quiets. its what i use, granted i work at advance auto parts. but i run wagners and have for a few years now. and as long as you condition them right they're great pads.

Quick Reply: OEM Brake Upgrade Question