2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rotella T6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012 | 11:50 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

I don't think you will have any problems running that oil but you could run into problems with oil pressure. I had an old Honda and was running 10 40 in it it caused a severe over pressurization in the system blew oil filter off had to replace oil pump as pressure relief was stuck closed

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:32 PM
rottenkid

I E-mailed Shell because I've been using T6 in My motorcycle.

My question:

>I have a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 motorcycle, a 2002 Dodge Dakota
3.9L, and a
>2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L, is it ok to use Rotella T6 in these
engines?
>Thank you.

Shells reply:

"Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 is API SM rated for older gasoline
engines. However, it is not the correct viscosity for the two Dodge
vehicles--10W-30 is recommended above 0F. If you chose to run T6 in
these vehicles, it is you decision.

It would be fine for the Triumph because T6 meets the JASO MA wet
clutch test."

Old 11-25-2013 | 08:54 PM
loucal

they run rotella in air cooled vw's

Old 11-26-2013 | 08:48 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator

I run Rotella T6 in my Diesel motorhome, but it's not, in my opinion, the best choice for gasoline engines. Diesel engines have specific lubrication needs and an oil that is formulated to meet those needs isn't necessarily better, it's just different. Just as an example, how many diesel engines turn 7000RPM? That's pretty common for gas engines these days. What if that would cause a diesel oil to foam up? (Like I said, just a hypothetical example. I have no idea what the differences are in formulations.)

Best to stick with what the engine manufacturer recommends.

Old 11-29-2013 | 01:59 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

My Dakota engine never turns 7,000 rpms!

I'm running T6 in my 96 5.2
. Been running it since last Feb. & it has about 8k since the last oil change. It's been a while, but I believe it's 15w40. My low mileage engine (234,xxx miles) has been on a high speed, pulling a motorcycle trailer road trip in that time. Just before I put the t6 in, I went all nuclear on the engine to take care of oil and coolant leaks--new rear main, new valley pan plate, intake gaskets, new hoses and water pump, & a new radiator.

My low mileage (234xxx miles) barely broken in engine hasn't used any noticeable oil in the past 8000 miles, the oil looks pretty clean still, and doesn't stink.

I have another even lower mileage engine on the stand to put in if I can ever find the time, so probably I won't be changing the oil in the current one again.

My feeling is, as good as motor oils are today, one brand will do pretty much as well as the next. I've run Walmart Synthetic in a commercial, heavy duty, high mileage per month situation. In Tucson summer heat. It got changed about every 5 weeks or 12k miles whichever came first. Good filters help (Wix, Mobil 1, NAPA gold.) But mostly getting the engine up to a suitable operating temp, and giving it a little toot on the freeway is most important.

Quick Reply: Rotella T6