2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7L Performance Upgrades... Advice/Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Dutch283
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.7L Performance Upgrades... Advice/Help Wanted

Ok, So a while ago I started a thread about replacing the Infinity Sound in my '02 Dakota QC. I have since decided I want to have a higher performance value from the truck instead of great sound.

I must not be looking at the right websites or manufacturers, because I can't find anything that is made for the 4.7L V8, and any "universal fit" things do not say they will fit in the 4.7L. I have a list of upgrades that I would like to have put in/on the engine. Also, I was hoping to be making 400+ HP when all is said and done.
Super/Turbocharger
Headers
Race-grade Cams and Crank
Stroked Pistons
Race-grade cylinder Head
Race-grade valves/valve springs
Electric Radiator fan
Cold-Air intake

The second part of this is a question of "Is it worth it?" The truck currently has almost 95k miles on it. It was listed as 235 HP and 295 ft-lbs of torque. The 5.9L of the same year only made 20 more HP and 30-or-so more torque. Should I ditch the 4.7 and get a remanufactured 5.9 to make the same modifications to or stick with my 4.7? Price-wise I should stick to the 4.7 since I already have the engine, but from a parts-availability standpoint the 5.9 is a better choice.

Third part of it is, How difficult is it to install any of the above upgrades, considering as how i have access to a shop i can work in and a basic understanding of engine-performance and modification. There are 2 Performance shops within 20 miles of my house but the cost is kinda an issue for me, so the more I can do without sending the truck to the professionals, the better.

To sum it up:
What are good manufacturers of performance parts for the 4.7L V8?
Is it worth upgrading the 4.7 or getting a 5.9 to upgrade?
What is the difficulty level of installing the performance parts on your own?
How much would this cost in time and money?

Thanks,
Dutch

Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch283
Super/Turbocharger
Good luck finding a supercharger for our trucks they are pretty rare to find a complete setup, you would most likely have to build a custom setup
Headers
Not many options
Race-grade Cams and Crank
You will need to find some H/O cams for the engine and then ship them to (crane cams?) and have them regrind them, for a crank your best luck is finding a forged one out of a 4.7L HO
Stroked Pistons
A stroked piston? Do you mean forged piston?
Race-grade cylinder Head
AIRRAM has the only performance heads that I know of
Race-grade valves/valve springs
AIRRAM once again will be your best bet for finding something
Electric Radiator fan
AIRRAM once again will be your best bet for finding something
Cold-Air intake
Just go on ebay or make your own they really don't make that big of a difference

The second part of this is a question of "Is it worth it?"
If your really dead set on a pure performance truck you should just go out and find a Dakota RT

Third part of it is, How difficult is it to install any of the above upgrade
It really depends on your mechanical background, if you don't know what half of the parts in your engine are called you should probably leave it to a professional
Like I said if you want performance go find a Dakota with a 5.9L otherwise called a Dakota RT

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah upgrades for the 4.7 are few and far between. If you are looking to make 400 at the wheels you should be working with a 5.9, although they don't make much more power there is a lot more out there for them. You can get heads, cams, intake manis, LTs, stroker kits... It's an old school style motor that's been around for decades so the aftermarket support is there.

Getting 400 hp with the 4.7 will require a lot of custom work and a lot of money. Plus if you make 400hp with this truck you will need to invest in the suspension because those tires will be spinning all day. The RT has better suspension from the factory plus the after market support is there for it. If you're a 4wd it is even more unrealistic to have all that power. A 4x4 QC weighs a ton. If you're really after performance you should be using a RC 2wd truck.

Last edited by bpark8824; 05-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
JoeKota

I've got a 2002 4.7L 4x4 I'm working on upgrading also. I'm looking at putting gibson headers on there. As far as the best price goes I have been looking for weeks and found this site: http://www.wickedcarparts.com/2003-d...rmance-header/ They have them for by far the cheapest at $336. They also have JBA for a little cheaper too.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Dutch283

Well, I now see that it is time to go after a remanufactured 5.9 instead of trying to fiddle with the 4.7l.
The 5.9 will set me back 3.2 grand but like you guys said it has more performance capability. My list of upgrades would apply to the 5.9 but in combination it will probably be closer to 500 HP.

I can care less for the Dakota R/T. I mean everyone knows those were built to perform. I want something that people would have to look twice at. Also I must have 4WD for launching on the street and because I do some off-roading. Which now leads me to another point, electric 4WD engage to manual 4WD conversion.
I already knew suspension upgrades would be in order but who doesn't enjoy a burnout. I'd leave stock suspension alone for awhile until my wallet recovers from the engine modifications.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buy an R/T, trust me. Ive done full bolt ons and got 241RWHP

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by thunder98110
buy an R/T, trust me. Ive done full bolt ons and got 241RWHP
The 241 was with cams, intake, and a tune?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 AM
headbutt1138

for a couple 100 bucks i hear the superchips programmers offer alot of hp for the money

Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM
headbutt1138

it wont give ya 400 at the wheels but put ya in right direction.

im getting one for my hemi soon. and my buddy with a ram 360 can feel a difference with his chip.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by headbutt1138
for a couple 100 bucks i hear the superchips programmers offer alot of hp for the money
Superchips aren't worth it for the 4.7. I had one for awhile but got rid of it because it really didn't make a very noticeable difference. If you're going to get a tuner get an SCT and have hemifever do the tune.

Quick Reply: 4.7L Performance Upgrades... Advice/Help Wanted