2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headlights staying on

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM
dleonard1122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights staying on

I did a quick search for this, and found nothing so I am hoping someone else has experienced this before.

Tonight, and a few other times in the past, I have turned my headlights and fog lights on, and then when I turn the truck off and shut everything off, the headlights stay on (not sure if fog's do too.) This is really annoying to me because no alarm comes on, and the interior lights all go off too, so I feel like if I don't catch this one time, i'm gonna leave myself with a dead battery. To fix this, I just have to turn the lights back on again, and then the alarm will come on because the truck is off, and then turn the lights off and they finally shut off. Anyone heard/ seen anything similar and can offer a fix?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
dirtbiker
Captain

Thats just the auto off headlights, I'm pretty sure all Daks have that because I do and mines a base model. I personally hate them, because as I'm walking away I get paranoid that I forgot to shut them off til I ser them go out. And people always tell me I left my lights on lol.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they shut off after 5 or 10 min. if you shut the truck off before you turn off the headlights, they will stay on. just turn them on then back off again and they will shut off.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
dleonard1122

Originally Posted by McNasy
they shut off after 5 or 10 min. if you shut the truck off before you turn off the headlights, they will stay on. just turn them on then back off again and they will shut off.
So shutting the lights off before turning the truck off is my best bet. And otherwise even if i forget to do that, they will shut off automatically? That makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
McNasy
Veteran

Originally Posted by dleonard1122
So shutting the lights off before turning the truck off is my best bet. And otherwise even if i forget to do that, they will shut off automatically? That makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks guys.
that is correct. i use this feature quite a bit, when i go to my cabin at night to open it up. we have no powere up there so i use the headlights to light up the area while i open up and unload. only the headlights should stay on, no parking lights or fogs.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
dleonard1122

that is correct. i use this feature quite a bit, when i go to my cabin at night to open it up. we have no powere up there so i use the headlights to light up the area while i open up and unload. only the headlights should stay on, no parking lights or fogs.
I can see how something like that really could come in handy. I'm just happy I don't have to worry about a dead battery now.

Thanks McNasy

Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
BlueQC
Rookie

If the lights stay on permanently try unplugging the DRL (daytime running lights) module

Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
McNasy
Veteran

most of the dakotas in the U.S. dont have DRL, thats a Canada feature.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Brian_
Captain

most of the dakotas in the U.S. dont have DRL, thats a Canada feature.
i saw i have a empty port for that in my truck. dumb question but why dont we have it enabled?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM
McNasy
Veteran

its a federal law in canada, not in the U.S., prob saves a few pennies per truck on the assembly line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights staying on