2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Compressor Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor Clicking

Recently, I recharged my '99 3.9 Dakota due to a slow leak in the low side port. It's blowing cold air, and it's holding pressure quite well. However, there is a more noticeable noise coming form the front of my truck when the A/C is on, and only when I'm in drive at a stop.

It is coming from the compressor, and I was wondering if maybe the A/C oil also leaked out. I only used a small can of 134a, so it only has about 20 psi in the line.

How can this be remedied? Can I just get a can of A/C oil and shoot it in there? Should I add more refrigerant? Something I didn't mention? I'm open to any input.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybee shoot a vid.. Are you sure your not just hearing the clutch kick on/off?

Most of the EzFil comes with Oil and Leak Detector as well mixed in the can..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Went ahead and put in a can of PAG. It had 134a in it as well as the oil. Didn't notice the difference but ti brought it up to the right charge so I guess it's a win. I'll know in a few months if the compressor goes out. But it's working fine right now.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Sounds like it was just low.. so it was kicking on and off.. that happens when the pressure is too low or too high..

Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 AM
fhadso
Veteran

I wasn't descriptive enough. My bad lol. It was making a whirring type clicking, like while the clutch was engaged. But like I said. I'm not going to worry about it. It's just my toy truck, not my primary driver.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

As long as it's working right? Just keep an eye on it.. if the thing starts building up off color (like a dark rust color) excessively it means the bearings on the pully are starting to wear.. watch it close as once they start doing that they typically will go very shortly once it gets really bad.. Wife's liberty did that and I didnt catch it till we could hear it running metal to metal.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

It can also happen if the compressor is trying to lock up...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

If it were me... Id do an evac and recharge and replace the orifice tube... they cost $1.96... infact john if you bring it to me I can hook you up...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah i def. need to check the High/Low pressure.. my dad's gauges are for R-12.. Might rent some payday.. unless you got some.. My AC works good only except the rise in temps 5-10 degrees when the AC is on.. Dad is thinking higher pressure.. building excess heat on the Cond. Either clogged orifice tube or simply charged too high.. then i can go from there..

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default to check bearings

It may be the pulley bearings to check pull off your S-belt grab and spin the compressor pulley/wheel if you hear grinding or any noise that is it.

Your a/c clutch plate may be lose check that.

Make sure the compressor is bolted down solid it may be lose mine was hanging on by only one bolt crap *** mec’s at last shop that worked on it striped three of the bolts in the mounting bracket IDIOTS.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-21-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Compressor Clicking