2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PowerStop Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 AM
GreenDakotaKid
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerStop Brakes

i am looking at buying new rotors and pads for my 2000 in the front. i have found this combo kit that has everything i need for the front. it is the PowerStop Brake Pad and Rotor Kit- Heavy Duty Truck and Tow Series K2139-36. has anyone used these or any other powerstop products. just dont want to buy garbage brakes. also in the kit the rotors are drilled and slotted and the pads are metallic. also there is another kit by Powerstop that has the same rotors but with ceramic pads. i use the truck as a Daily driver and it doesnt have a tow hitch so i dont tow anything. the only reason i was looking at the heavy duty tow series one was because i wanted the best and most effective brakes and i thought the heavy duty ones were better. but, my question is which would you buy for your truck. and i dont really care about the price difference between the two kits. also correct me if i am wrong about which kit to buy.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM
fhadso
Veteran

For you situation, I would just buy the Duralast Gold. They work just fine for everyday driving. Other people will say they're garbage just because it's the most common brand, but from my experience they are just fine. I have them on my '99 Dakota and on my '00 Neon.

As for the PowerStop heavy duty? Like I said, if you plan on doing heavy towing and hauling, go for them. But if you're just wanting the brakes to last longer, don't bother. I'm not saying they won't last longer. I'm just saying that normal brakes are just as good. If you want them to last longer just be sure to seat them according to the instructions on the brakes themselves. I've had to replace brakes because they weren't seated right.

Drilled and slotted? You don't want those, trust me. Slotted rotors, maybe, but not drilled. That's just asking for new pads. Those are definitely for heavy duty, if not for racing. I could go on all day about them but it'd be easier to tell you not to get them. You should normally pay around ~$120 for new pads and rotors, and that's high. I get the $30 brake pads, and ~$30 per rotor. Added up with taxes and everything is around ~$120.

Last edited by fhadso; 05-19-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
GreenDakotaKid
Rookie

why not drilled and slotted, i like the idea of better performance right now my brakes are kind of weak. i have now changed my mind and think i am going for the ceramic pads kit. the total kit for the front axle costs only $115 shipped to my door with the ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors. i thought that was a good deal.

Last edited by GreenDakotaKid; 05-19-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drilled and slotted rotors are so unnecessary for a Dakota...

Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Drilled and slotted rotors actually cause more harm than good on brake pads. They scrape too much away to be practical, especially in a Dakota. Unless you plan on going 80+MPH constantly, I wouldn't recommend them They look cool, but unless you're going fast enough to glaze your pads, don't get them. They will eat your brake pads up badly. It will paint your rims black with brake dust. Ceramic, metallic, platinum, gold, whatever. Doesn't make a difference. Unless you want to replace your pads every three months, don't get them I cannot stress this enough.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
GreenDakotaKid
Rookie

i ended up buying raybestos advanced technology ceramic pads and centric premium rotors on the recommendation of my neighbor who has been selling brakes for longer than i have been alive. the rotors are just plain vented ones by the way. got the 2 rotors and pad set for $125 at JC Whitney.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Raybestos are pretty decent as well. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Supershafts
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreenDakotaKid
why not drilled and slotted, i like the idea of better performance right now my brakes are kind of weak. i have now changed my mind and think i am going for the ceramic pads kit. the total kit for the front axle costs only $115 shipped to my door with the ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors. i thought that was a good deal.
From who ?

I use drilled and slotted on my cars and Jeep...

The jeep never stopped better, but i really DRIVE everything. . . . If you really drive your Dakota then i'd get them.

As for the added wear, i can't say i have seen that, i can say i no longer have fade and heat and warping issues...

Selling and use are 2 entirely different things.

Quick Reply: PowerStop Brakes