2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

White smoke at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation White smoke at high rpm

Hey after extensive searching (unless im a blind idiot which could be the case) I couldnt come up with an answer to why I'm blowing white smoke at high rpms. Was coming home from work today and decided to leave a nice black mark up my street. Looked back and saw nasty white smoke coming from under the truck where my tail pipe cuts out. This also occurs when I rev it up to 4-5 k rpm. Other than that white smoke never appears. Any idears?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. do NOT rev more than 3k rpm with no load. 2. this is just a guess. the piston rings are floating and letting oil by. my guess again, you rev the engine a LOT. this weakened the rings. STOP REVING SO HIGH!!!!!!. you dont need to rev it like you are in race. iam a old guy but i remember this, from the early 60s. chrysler made some great race cars, wax wedge ect. they ALL came with a note stating to not run at top rpm for more than 15 seconds.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by moe7404
1. do NOT rev more than 3k rpm with no load. 2. this is just a guess. the piston rings are floating and letting oil by. my guess again, you rev the engine a LOT. this weakened the rings. STOP REVING SO HIGH!!!!!!. you dont need to rev it like you are in race. iam a old guy but i remember this, from the early 60s. chrysler made some great race cars, wax wedge ect. they ALL came with a note stating to not run at top rpm for more than 15 seconds.
I barely ever rev the engine, I only discovered this after I bought it. Ive never had it rev high for more then 2-3 seconds. I drive the thing easy lol never more then 50 mph on regular in between town roads and 60 mph on highways Would make sense though as this thing burns oil like none other.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Get a Seafoam Spray treatment. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. It should burn the excess carbon. Change your oil. Check your spark plug boots to see if there is oil in the wells. If so, change the valve seals (not difficult or expensive). Change your spark plugs while you're at it.

If smoke is pouring out, something is burning that doesn't burn at low temperatures. This could be oil, carbon, something else. Just give your engine a once-over with Seafoam Spray (it goes in the intake instead of the brake booster line) and change your oil and spark plugs, you should be fine.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
fhadso
Veteran

15 Seconds is a long time for an engine. I'm sure he only revved it for 4-5 to notice the smoke. It doesn't take much to replicate a problem, especially one like his.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

glad to know you dont over rev it. are you using that water they pass off as oil? i dont like thin oil. i use valoline premium blue heavy duty 15w-40 reg oil. it has the zinc you need. its as thick as i will run with the Kansas winters that we have. the premium blue is factory fill on the Dodge diesel.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

glad to know you dont over rev it. are you using that water they pass off as oil? i dont like thin oil. i use valoline premium blue heavy duty 15w-40 reg oil. it has the zinc you need. its as thick as i will run with the Kansas winters that we have. the premium blue is factory fill on the Dodge diesel.
I run mobil 1 10w-30 dino oil. I dont think the PO changed the oil very often in it, perhaps that caused it?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fhadso
Get a Seafoam Spray treatment. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. It should burn the excess carbon. Change your oil. Check your spark plug boots to see if there is oil in the wells. If so, change the valve seals (not difficult or expensive). Change your spark plugs while you're at it.

If smoke is pouring out, something is burning that doesn't burn at low temperatures. This could be oil, carbon, something else. Just give your engine a once-over with Seafoam Spray (it goes in the intake instead of the brake booster line) and change your oil and spark plugs, you should be fine.
Will try the seafoam. Been meaning to change spark plugs for a while now so will def check that as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

if that doesnt work try running MMO in the gasoline. run it all ways in my V-6. keeps the pistons, and valves, sealed. and there is a upper luber that puts MMO in the intake, http://www.ampcolubes.com/

Last edited by moe7404; 05-20-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I run regular leaded in mine so I dont think that stuff will help, or so the website says. Will get a can of seafoam and try it out.

Quick Reply: White smoke at high rpm