2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My new E-Fan Setup!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up My new E-Fan Setup!

First.. Want to thank the guy that recommended the thread that brought the Jeep Recall Fan to my attention.

I will be adding a secondary aux fan between the Rad and condenser for sure as a backup... once I get this fan wired into a controller; for now its just on a toggle switch.

And please dont make fun of the image quality.. it's the best I got.. LOL!!!

Lets start with the Fan it self..

IMG01842.jpg

next.. the factory fan shroud..

IMG01841.jpg

After a dry fit.. bending some brackets (so to speak- Notice the angles and bends.. )

IMG01846.jpg

Time to drill some holes..

IMG01845.jpg

IMG01844.jpg

Attaching the brackets..

IMG01847.jpg

IMG01848.jpg

Now she is all together

IMG01849.jpg

Mounted..

IMG01850.jpg

IMG01851.jpg

I did not take pics but i shot some black paint on the 'brackets' and when i get some time ill clean up the shroud and paint the hole thing so its all matching colors.. including the silver bolts..

So far the fan works really well.. takes a little longer to wind up to full speed.. and also to come to a stop.. alot more air.. not too sure if the mount location is hurting the air flow or not being this was meant to be against the radiator... but all well..

I will be adding like i said and aux fan when i get the controller for this one.. and i will control it with a switch.. for the cases of towing or really hot *** days..

Also a side note.. which seems to help it out a little more.. i removed the rubber between the cal and the hood.. seems to help with air flow when stopped..

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (10-06-2021)
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Reserved for next step soon to come..

Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up jondakotaguy

jondakotaguy

What did that cost you?

I want to change out my old electric fan the 2.5 comes with one and Im looking at them.

Attachment 16282

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Yes jondakotaguy that is a all metal

Yes jondakotaguy that is a all metal shroud and big honking fan the older 1998 2.5L Dakotas were cooled with these fans very funky yea.

One reason I want to change out is I dont think they make replacements anymore so when it goes its gone.

The fan blade is not all that large its actualy kind of small but that large motor is well..large.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-19-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I got it from the local dealer.. they gave me the run around though saying they could not sell the part because it was a Recall Replacement item.. I told them I could buy it online with Summit Racing or Mopar online.. no questions asked.. and also that if there is a retail price in the computer then it can be sold.. and I'm no dummy.. they finally agreed to sell it to me.. after tax it was like $89.. but i got it today right then and there vs waiting..

Mopar online has them for 54 plus shipping.. at least to me it would come out a grand total of like 69 bucks.. just depends on how bad and quick you want it i guess.. I think this fan with out any additional fans would work great for that small of a motor.. hell I honestly think the HHR fan would do good enough for that as well..

I'm selling my HHR Fan wanna buy it off me? I have a listing for it over in the parts for sale section of the forums.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/parts-s...-for-sale.html

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Well

What happened to your original electric fan?

I’m in the process of upgrading my radiator condenser and electric fan to what a 2001 model 2.5 engine Dakota has.

Slowly picking up my parts throughout this summer then change everything next winter.

Nice camera Jon ha ha just had to say it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Well.. it kept the truck between normal temps but with my V8 it just could not handle it heavy traffic with AC in hot and humid weather.. but for your 2.5 I think it would do just great..

It's boxed up ready to sell just trying to get my money back on it.. if not imma be turning into a shop fan.. LOL

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I was able to get my wife's old Camera working we thought was a gonner..

HPIM0897.jpg

HPIM0896.jpg

Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation

jondakotaguy NICE NEW PIC'S
I know you have been frustrated getting info on these e-fans SAME HERE.

Thanks for the HHR fan offer but I’m looking for better like you even though I have the 2.5 I live in HOT AZ and I’m concerned with getting a stock fan form a 2001 2.5 Dakota my old 1998 big clunky fan is so so at best I don’t over heat well if you call 210 not getting HOT.

The problem I have is getting good air flow for the A/C condenser if sitting at a stop sign or going slower than 35 MPH it’s not getting enough air flow through the condenser and my A/C suffers low performance my engine temp is ok at 190 to 210.Whenever I’m going 40 mph or faster my A/C works great the A/C shop that is doing some custom A/C work for me said the same thing I need better air flow through the condenser to get the best cold A/C out of my system.

Could you answer these for me?
What size is that new fan?
How many amp's/watts does it draw?
Are you happy so far with the wrangler fan?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

What size is that new fan?
-19"
How many amp's/watts does it draw?
From what I seen around or below 30 A
Are you happy so far with the wrangler fan?
Yes- But its the Jeep Grand Cherokee Recall Fan.
It's doing exceptional well. I will be adding the Aux. Fan between the Rad and cond.. hooked to the toggle; and the 19" fan will be on a controller as extra security just in case.. so far its doing really well and I'm happy with it.

I think the HHR fan would be good on a 2.5 or even the V6.. just not my truck.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (10-06-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new E-Fan Setup!