2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can somone please tell me what the stock rim offset is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can somone please tell me what the stock rim offset is?

I've been searching everywhere and can't find what the offset is on the stock 15x7 rims. I found that the back spacing is 5". I found some rims the I might by but all it has for dimensions is a -27mm offset and I have no clue if that's going to stick out of the wheel well or not. Here is the link to them also if anyone cares to take a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x8-ION-Sty...sories&vxp=mtr

Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default You sure these will fit??

I went to the link you provided and checked the Compatibility and it says these will not fit your Dakota.

Go check

I’m not sure I would order rims off ebay check your local shops show them what you want they usually want to help you out.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Im guessing that it says they arent compatible because the stock rims are 15x7 and these are 15x8. I dont see why they wouldnt be compatible. And yeah im gonna go to a shop tomorrow and ask but I really don't think theres any place locally by me that sells aftermarket rims at least that I know of.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

the 8 inch wide wheel is not the issue, its the offset. -27mm is way too agressive and will stick WAY too far out of the fenders and rub on everything. here is how you can find backspace and offset...

if the stock wheel is 7 inches wide, you add 1 inch to that, equalling 8. then divide that by 2 = 4. that means that if the offset on that wheel were zero mm, the backspacing would be 4 inches. the stock wheel has a 5 inch backspace, and the way that you measure back spacing is simply lay a flat surface across the back of the wheel and measure from the mounting plate to that surface. the more backspace a wheel has, the more positive the offset is. and the more positive offset a wheel has, the more it will sit inwards on the vehicle. the offset on the factory 15x7 wheel is +25 mm.

now on the new wheel you're looking at, center of the wheel is at 4.5 inches, because 8 + 1 / 2 = 4.5. but the offset -27mm, so 27mm more negative from the center of the wheel is where the mounting plate is. there is 25.4 mm in an inch, so it is just about an inch more negative from the center of the wheel. the backspace on the new wheels, just by doing numbers in my head, is about 3.5 inches, not ideal. these wheels, comparing them to stock, are going to stick out over 2 inches farther than the stock wheels, which puts more stress on the front end, and is going to cause tires to rub all over the place. ideal offset would be anywhere from like -6mm to +15mm roughly. you dont want anything with super negative offset like those, not a good fitment.

i work in a tire shop so i deal with what fits and what doesnt on a daily basis so im pretty good with this stuff. hope that all makes sense

if you want suggestions on what fits, look at cragar soft 8 / unique 297 with about a +12mm offset (this is what i have they fit perfect), or there are a few wheels made by Pro Comp that fit as well.

The following users liked this post:
LEDshot (10-03-2021)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Xxaler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Xxaler; 05-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

Originally Posted by Xxaler
Everyone in this thread is running stock rims and making crazy assumptions.

They'll be a ****-hair out past the fender flares, they won't rub like crazy, and they won't put more stress on the front end components.

Buy them, you'll love them.
obviously you must know more than i do about wheel fitment. so buy the wheels with the complete incorrect offset and see what happens. get your **** straight bud.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

i would like to see that

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Originally Posted by ryan_brown33
the 8 inch wide wheel is not the issue, its the offset. -27mm is way too agressive and will stick WAY too far out of the fenders and rub on everything. here is how you can find backspace and offset...

if the stock wheel is 7 inches wide, you add 1 inch to that, equalling 8. then divide that by 2 = 4. that means that if the offset on that wheel were zero mm, the backspacing would be 4 inches. the stock wheel has a 5 inch backspace, and the way that you measure back spacing is simply lay a flat surface across the back of the wheel and measure from the mounting plate to that surface. the more backspace a wheel has, the more positive the offset is. and the more positive offset a wheel has, the more it will sit inwards on the vehicle. the offset on the factory 15x7 wheel is +25 mm.

now on the new wheel you're looking at, center of the wheel is at 4.5 inches, because 8 + 1 / 2 = 4.5. but the offset -27mm, so 27mm more negative from the center of the wheel is where the mounting plate is. there is 25.4 mm in an inch, so it is just about an inch more negative from the center of the wheel. the backspace on the new wheels, just by doing numbers in my head, is about 3.5 inches, not ideal. these wheels, comparing them to stock, are going to stick out over 2 inches farther than the stock wheels, which puts more stress on the front end, and is going to cause tires to rub all over the place. ideal offset would be anywhere from like -6mm to +15mm roughly. you dont want anything with super negative offset like those, not a good fitment.

i work in a tire shop so i deal with what fits and what doesnt on a daily basis so im pretty good with this stuff. hope that all makes sense

if you want suggestions on what fits, look at cragar soft 8 / unique 297 with about a +12mm offset (this is what i have they fit perfect), or there are a few wheels made by Pro Comp that fit as well.
Thanks It's a little much to take in but makes some sense. I was really looking for something with a aluminum lip on the outside to break up the black but can't find anything that doesn't cost a lot. I was looking on the jegs website and I really like the cragar street lock "D" window wheels but $162 a piece compared to the soft 8's that are $75 or under. Do you have any pictures of your truck with your rims on? Now I'm not sure if I want to go 15x7 with a 4-1/2" back spacing or a 16x7 with 4" backspacing. I'm thinking the 15x7's cause I really don't want the tires sticking out of the fender.

Quick Reply: Can somone please tell me what the stock rim offset is?