2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

SCT vs B&G Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
vimnjicki
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT vs B&G Flash

I have built the junk yard 5.9 up to almost a 6.1, with bigger cam, bigger valve heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Airgap F1 manifold, balanced rotating assembly, headers. I have the "stock" PCM. I have been reading about the difference between a flash and SCT for tuning. I understand the SCT might be more money initially but cheaper in the long run plus maximize the performance potential of the engine. What do you guys think? I was about to send the PCM to B&G but I cant seem to get them to either answer the phone or return my calls. Getting a bit frustrated with them. Anyway, I'm ready for the PCM to work with my motor and want to do the best thing. Talk to me. Thanks

Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

almost a 6.1? Far from. If that block is stock, and the crank is stock your not even close to a 6.1. You have a 5.9L with bolt ons and a cam.

As far as B&G or SCT. Sct email hemifever@aol.com (sean) he will sell the SCT programmer with 3can tunes and for an extra 100$ you can have unlimited tunes from him. Although you will need to buy a datalogging program or handheld like the LM-2.

If B&G isn't contacting you back... I don't even see the reason behind you asking this question.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
vimnjicki
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt mention that I derived the "almost 6.1" from boring the cylinders out .040 over stock. anyway, dont really need to justify my build. The reason behind my asking the question? Here it is: Whats the difference between a re-flash like B&G and using a tuner? besides the costs. No need to be rude if you want to answer. I'm just asking. Thanks for your reply, User, anyway.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

B&G is only allowed to edit so many options via the software they use, compared to SCT it's nothing. SCT allows you to fine tune to your needs and edit many other options. Actually learning how to use SCT and program yourself requires a degree in rocket science. Sean or Chris @ P.I.E should be able to tune with SCT. Most local places don't know jack about dodge and sct. They will be able to send you tunes via email and you can download and upload to your SCT handheld to install to truck. If you have a active connection, you can also setup a date with Sean to be standby and tune while you are at the track.

B&G is trash compared to SCT (as long as you get a good tuner)

Almost a 6.1 with a .040 bore? Assuming you are using the stock crank size of 3.58" a .040 bore would put you at 374ci not accounting the head work you had done, was the block decked, chamber size of the heads? Even if all that is the same, a 6.1L = 372ci, your closing in on 6.2L not ALMOST A 6.1. Either your lying about your build, or you have no clue whats under your hood.

Either way I would do SCT, but Sean and every other tuner is going to ask you what you have done to your motor so they can better tune it. I would get your stuff together before you talk to them.

Quick Reply: SCT vs B&G Flash