2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

if my spark plugs or plug coils fail.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Wilderness
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if my spark plugs or plug coils fail.

Will my engine tell me if my spark plugs or spark plug coils fail? (warning lights, etc)

Also, does anybody else know of any problems spraying engine degreaser all over the place under the hood can cause. Thought this would be a good place to ask. Others have replied that there are no complications that can arise from that. The more advice the better.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Plum00
Default RE: if my spark plugs or plug coils fail.

Be careful with excessive degreaser around your coils, wires, alternator, serpentine belt.

Excessive degreaser could seep down into the spark plug wells and cause a misfire. '98 and newer vehicles have OBD (onboard diagnostics) and would set the 'service engine soon' MIL (malfunction indicator lamp). You would notice a rough running engine. Degereaser should really be limited to oily areas only. Water spray to the engine compartment should be limited too. You can cause a lot more problems than you think, if you haven't learned the hard way. Don't spray any electrical goodies. Instead, use damp rags with soapy (detergent) water to clean things up.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Wilderness
Rookie

well, it seems like my spraying degreaser all over the place violated your cautions right off. everything seems to work fine. seems. i havent noticed a rough running engine, but apparently only time will tell. i recently swapped my plugs, and i know that the vacuum seals are all tight, so the water should stay out... hopefully.

but my truck should definitely tell me if it's screwed up? (I'll suppose your answer to be yes unless you indicate otherwise)

and if i did mess things up, i would notice somewhat in the near future?

Also, I had oil build-up throughout my engine due to the 40k miles-worth of driving i've done. i have not had any problems with my alternator or plug boots spoiling due to a good wash, so, again, hopefully, that is a fine forecast for the future.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i cleaned my motor i sprayed engine foam degreaser all over the place and with a presure cleaner washed it off. Of course i wasnt up-close with the pressure cleaner. . . when i was done i just let it run for five minutes.

Quick Reply: if my spark plugs or plug coils fail.