2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota 3.9L Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Nick8216
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 Dakota 3.9L Door Problem

Hello everyone. This is my first post here so thank you for any help. Anyways onto the issue at hand. The other day I opened my drivers side door incredibly hard. When I went to shut the door, the door just slammed into the lock bar, when normally the lock bar would just slide into the locking mechanism within the strike plate. Basically the door is off (lower) by 1/4 inch.

I went to a local mechanic that I trust and he said it is a "body issue", and sent me to a body shop where the guy wanted $250 to replace the hinges.

I find it hard to believe that something off by so little could cost so much. I have seen other posts about door hinges. I just don't think my hinges are busted. I read on somewhere else I could take a 2x4 and attempt to bend it back into place...not sure if I want to go that route either.

I think I am a kinda mechanically savvy. Any suggestions would help.

The weird thing is when the door is fully open there is no play up and down. When the door is right about to be latched/locked you have to lift the door to set the lock.

Thanks for your help.

I am attaching pictures.

1. Strike plate cut out with point of impact on the top portion.

2. Top Hinge

3. Bottom Hinge

4. Point that you have to lift the door to set the lock.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6070238.JPG (34.0 KB, 15 views)
P6070236.JPG (34.9 KB, 13 views)
P6070235.JPG (27.6 KB, 13 views)
P6070239.JPG (46.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

yeah you could try that or get a used door. I had a 92 that the hinges got bent and then pushed through the sheet metal on the door had to remove door bend it all back to shape and wld it all back together so have fun worst case scenario you have to find a door

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
FACEMAN

Might want to open the door, grab the top of the door and the bottom of the door and pull up and down to see if there is any play on the bushings. You might just need to replace the bushings and not the whole door. Have a look into hinge area while you're pulling up and down on the door to see if the hinge is actually moving. Take a look at your body lines and adjust your door accordingly.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota 3.9L Door Problem