2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Higher octane, no ethanol: no difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=
Given the same octane, I regularly get about 2 MPG better fuel economy with a non-ethanol fuel as opposed to E10. Ethanol treatment in E10 will also give me close, but not quite the same gains as running non-ethanol fuel...[/quote]

I only know of one station around here (Independence, MO) that sells gas with no ethanol, but that gas is the expensive 91 octane stuff. Is there a brand that offers 87 octane w/o ethanol? I suspect the answer is no in my area because all the corn growers have successfully campaigned to make gasohol a legal requirement.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have plenty of gas stations with 89 non ethonol, its all I run

still seems to me like your getiing good MPG's

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You actually will get better fuel economy with the lowest octane fuel you can burn that does not produce pre-detonation. As a rule, the higher the compression of the engine, the higher the octane needs to be to not pre-detonate.

There are other factors and of course engine tuning (either factory or after-market) and certain power mods will require different octane gas.

The Hemi and the newer 16 plug 4.7 require 89 octane for maximum performance, but the standard 4.7 (pre-'08 and non-HO) do fine on 87 octane in all but heavy tow/haul situations.

Given the same octane, I regularly get about 2 MPG better fuel economy with a non-ethanol fuel as opposed to E10. Ethanol treatment in E10 will also give me close, but not quite the same gains as running non-ethanol fuel...
Good post, and accurate information.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by 04 Quadcab
Periodically, I see questions as to whether higher octane helps power and mileage..
If you tuned your car to run optimally on the non ethanol fuel, it would get better mileage on premium w/o ethanol.

I tried to post a thread about this probably a year ago and everyone here flamed me. For some reason most "truck" guys don't understand fuel, and that's fine with me.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on your area there can be a decent amount of non-ethanol stations or none at all. They are getting harder to find, but as a rule, you need to look for the smaller (mom & pop type) independent stations. ALL the national chains (big oil companies) are ethanol supplemented.

You can look here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-stations.html

Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default Tune your engine for non-ethanol??

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
If you tuned your car to run optimally on the non ethanol fuel, it would get better mileage on premium w/o ethanol.
And how would that be done? You can't adjust timing or anything else on computerized vehicles. The computer will just reset everything to factory settings. People who buy chips soon learn that the chips don't change anything for very long; the vehicle computer soon goes back to factory settings.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

yeah but the tunning your talking about is all mechanical to need premium. like I said octane has nothing to to do to make the vehicle run better other than the detergents and additives they add to more expensive gas. Most sports cars have to have it because of the compression ratios they run on. if you inject 82 octane gas into a vehicle with 20:1 compression ratio it will explode half way up on the intake stroke not good

Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I did find out

I did find out the 2.5 engine has a 9.1 ratio unless I read it wrong now I cant find this stat but I think it was 9.1 is that high?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

not really like I said it may have more to do with the way you drive it or the way the timming is set up on it from factory. I'm going to look into what else causes pinging i know timing plays into as well

Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I dont ping

I don’t ping. Unless I use premium my 2.5 just has low power and its easy to tell the difference.

The few times I used the mid-grade it was just luggy like dragging a big rock behind me. Because I have the small engine its very noticeable between the gas grades I think on a V8 you probably just don’t notice any difference it’s so powerful but my 2.5 you feel it considerably.

Quick Reply: Higher octane, no ethanol: no difference