2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'03 Body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Hova
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Body lift question

Alright so I'm getting myself a 3 inch body lift http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/60153.html
and there is a few things I'm needing help with.
First off should i install or use a professional? I don't know how difficult it is to install a body lift because this will be the first time I'm doing it but I don't want to mess it up. So if i do go to a shop it's a lot of money i don't want to part with but I'm willing to if it is above my skill level right now.
Second is with this body lift kit would i need anything else? I have a 2003 4.7 v8 SLT quad cab 4X4. So it says its compatible but I'm a rookie in this field so if there is anything else I should get please let me know!
Lastly if anyone has a better lift kit please let me know! I'm always open to new suggestions!
Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

I installed my lift myself with a buddy to help with some heavy lifting. If your fairly mechanicly inclined It's pretty easy. I started at the front and worked my way to the back, you'll have to notch the fan shroud and extend the steering shaft, the rest is just replace the stock mounts with the new ones doing it evenly from one side to the other. The cab needs to be supported with jacks, i used 4x4 blocks of wood and jacked up one side at a time. The box is easy with a buddy to help with some lifting, and the fuel filler neck didn't need an extension, it has lots of room. Make sure you align the front clip, cab and box before torqueing the bolts down. i used 6" grade 8's with nylon lockers to make sure nothing comes lose down the road. The kit should come with brackets for both bumpers, use stronger bolts tho, mine came with poor quality ones. Take your time, mine took me about 8 hours to install. Hope that helps.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

Have a 2000 and mine was fairley easy. Had to modafied lower fan shroud for cleanerence and the lower radiator hose had to be extended. Bought from Summint Racing.

If you dont like the gap between fram and body a cheap fix is go to lowes or home depot get some black rubber floor matting. Cut to size and use self tapping screws to hold in place.

Quick Reply: '03 Body lift question