2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Full, complete tuneup suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full, complete tuneup suggestions

With 248k on the truck, horrible gas mileage, time on my hands and a little extra cash in the wallet, im thinking of doing a complete tune-up for the truck to run as efficiently as possible.

I'm looking at doing a pretty in depth tune up, I believe i've done most of the basics but would like some ideas and input into what else I can do, what ive missed and what could help.

Basics ive done recently: Autolite plugs, bosche o2 sensors, rear drum brakes, front pads, flushed coolant, oil change, cleaned air filter, changed tranny filter/fluid/gasket, new waterpump (old one failed), PCV valve, MAP sensor (2.5 years ago though), tires, catalytic converter.

Ive never touched/cleaned the IAC, TPS..Ive only ever seafoamed in the vaccuum lines, should I pull off the airhat and try to clean some of the throttle body? Im looking for as many suggestions as I can get to take things off, clean them and help restore some of the engines power. I dont want to rip the whole engine apart but I still want to do it properly. Thanks guys

Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 AM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't just take off the airhat, remove the throttle body entirely and give it a good cleaning. I mean, use about 2-3 cans of cleaner on it. Use Seafoam spray for the intake. Add a cold air intake if you haven't already. There's nothing much you can do other than what you've done thus far.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree pull the whole throttle body pull the sensors and cleaning but be gentle with them. You can use brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner just spend 30min or so getting it all shiny again. Mind you 5.2's arent gonna get much better than 13-15 mpg. I also noticed you didnt say anything about changing the spark plug wires,cap and rotor. If you didnt do it then the new plugs really arent doing too well of a job.

Quick Reply: Full, complete tuneup suggestions