2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clicking noise from motor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise from motor.

When i first start my truck and let it idle i can hear a small clicking noise sort of on and off about every 20 sec. Almost sounds like when the ac goes back and forth but it is not because its turned off. Just wondering if anybody knows if this is normal or not.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Joelzy
Professional
Default RE: Clicking noise from motor.

mine does this dometimes as well. When my jeep did it i was told that it was the cam and it was normal

Old 08-20-2005, 11:28 PM
syllinx
Veteran

To me im guessing its the egr valve going on and off cause when my neon didnt make the noise the egr was broke but i have no clue lol.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:14 AM
99Dakota
Amateur

yeah pretty sure that sounds like the themestate letting water in and out of the motor. u can hear it turn off and run then turn off and about 10 seconds later it will do it again. anyhow, pretty sure its normal

Old 08-21-2005, 12:29 AM
syllinx
Veteran

Cool hope thats it. Trying to see if theres anything wrong with truck and fix it since its so slow. Just hard to belive every diesel truck that i thought was slow kicks my but at the races.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Plum00

Don't know for sure what the noise is, but I can promise you it is not 'the thermostat letting water in and out of the motor'. The thermostat is not electrically controlled and any sound it makes is not detectable to the normal person. It also takes much longer than 20 seconds to heat up enough to open.

You may be hearing lifter noise, fuel injector noise, or exhaust system thermal expansion noise, but not sure why these would cycle at 20 sec.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:01 AM
mudkicker78
Professional

Its none of the above, you have a computer meetering every thing, its normal, the system tests itself everytime you start the engine.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:47 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. The only thing I've noticed with mine is if you turn the truck on and pop the hood, watch the a/c compressor. The pulley is constantly spinning, but the center of the pulley is like a seperate piece. When that center deal spins is when I hear the noise. I don't know if it's normal, or if that means my compressor is going bad, but that's definetly where it comes from on mine. Sorry for the poor explanation, but that's the only way I could figure out how to describe it.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise from motor.