2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ground wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 AM
vimnjicki
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground wires

I know there are several grounding connections to complete the various circuits on our trucks but I foolishly neglected to mark what and where they were located when I started the rebuild. Specifically, what are the connection points for the ground wires that complete the ignition circuit on the block, the valve covers and the firewall. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
vimnjicki
Professional

This is an update for the previous post. Didnt want to start a new thread. Long story short. swapped out V6 for a 5.9L V8 in my '97 dak 4x4. it turns over, all the lights (inside and out), gauges and relays work. I can hear the fuel pump whirring when I turn on the ignition. No signal to the coil so no spark to the plugs. I have tried switching the old V6 PCM to see if maybe I erased the factory programming from the "new" V8 PCM. still nothing. I found a "stray" ground wire that I remember went on the left bank of the V6 but cannot remember exactly where it bolts on. It has three ends so I know it bolts from the block to the head and/or the valve cover and then to something else. I do have the ground wire on the right bank to the firewall and the other three or four ground connections. I'm about ready to have the truck towed to a local auto electric place to have it diagnosed and fixed but want to try this last thing. Can anyone help me? Diagram? Picture? Please? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

I have a `97 V-6 2wd and just went out and checked my ground wires for ya , on the pass side from the firewall i only have 2 - one to the back of the head and one to the valve cover , on the driver side i have one that bolts to the back of the head also . I would guess if you have 3 wires , i would just attach the last one to a bolt on the intake manifold and call it done ,, as for the no signal to the coil , i would look into the componants that tell the engine to fire , starting with the crank position sensor , cam position sensor ( its under the dist cap ) check them according to the procedures in the haynes manual and the look over the rest of the sensor connections and make sure they are getting power when the key is on and they have good tight connections ,, maybe you have a sensor on the 5.9 thats incompatible with the electrical system on your truck , or a pinched wire , or a bent pin on a connector not makeing contact ????? easy to overlook that kind of thing when you start getting frustrated with all of it .

Quick Reply: Ground wires