2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newb help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM
jchawk2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb help!

Hey guys, first off thank you for all your insight. With the help of this forum and a haynes manual I found out the reason I was burning so much oil was from the notorious plenum pan gasket busting.

Having never touched the inside of a vehicle unless it was to change the oil, I decided to dive in and do the operation myself. Took two full days of work, but got everything replaced, and she's no longer burning the crazy amount of oil, and no longer pinging at high RPMs.

Before I changed it out I was having a CEL for a bad O2 sensor. Now it's giving me a CEL codes, 12, 21, 21, 55 which I guess means both are bad. I have two NGK O2 sensors that should be here today, but I just wanted to tell you the symptoms I've having and maybe you guys could tell me what else might be going on?

Before the gasket and pan swap I would idle low and stall out sometimes. This started about the same time the first CEL came on with codes 12, 21, 55 and now after the gasket and pan swap it idles terrible and stalls everytime I crank it unless I feed it enough gas. Gas mileage is also terrible. I have about 130k miles on it, would two bad O2 sensors be causing this? Or is the problem deeper? Like I said, I am a newb when it comes to automotive work. Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: Newb help!