2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Short Commute - what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

YW Brad. I don't know that much really. Electrical stuff mostly with accessories and figuring out electrical related stuff is mostly what I know. I get pretty lost when others here start discussing hard topics on their trucks like compression loss and other big-time problems. I would not know where to start if I had a ring and pinion problem like you had not long ago. But I also would not bat an eye at jumping in and taking it apart myself, reading anything and everything I could get my hands on about it and reading my Dodge Service Manual, Haynes and Chilton books about it so I could fix it myself. I will beat my brains out trying to fix a problem before I would pay someone else to do it. My advantage is I work from home so I don't have to get the truck fixed right away, I can leave it in the garage and take as much time as I need with it. My wife has a car if I need to go some place. The disadvantage is sometimes I have had to do a few repairs twice, because of bad parts. That happened with my water pump and power steering pump. It also happened when I bought an aftermarket fan clutch at Auto Zone, had trouble with it, returned it, installed a junk yard fan clutch, then had to replace it with a Mopar fan clutch a year later. I did that one 3 times. I always do maintenance stuff ahead of schedule and probably do tune-ups more often than is really necessary. But if it helps keep my truck in good shape, I don't mind the work. I read a lot here on DF and other forums too, to learn as much as I can about my truck and maybe help someone else out too when I can. The internet is a great tool, it has helped me fix so many things, from my Ipod to a clogged toilet to my home air conditioner, lots of things with my truck and wife's car, you name it. I am glad to help others out when I can.

Jimmy

Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think we have it easy now-a-days. You need to know how to do something, Google it. My sister's emergency brake needed to be adjusted and there was a video on YouTube of exactly how to do it. I've learned a ton from the forum. I love working on my own truck but now that's hard to do since I've moved into an apartment. I'll have to try hard not to get behind on any maintenance. Oh well, it's part of life. I was lucky enough to get a job before I even graduated so I'm thankful for that, just wish I was able to find a place with a garage.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So went to my favourite Napa store in search of some MMO and to my surprise they dont sell it ( none at Walmart either) WTH! Turns out its not CSA approved and is not sold anywhere in canada, bummer, luckily I live half hour drive from the border....road trip! Now what else did I need....

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Be careful

Be careful that could be considered contraban crossing the border with it and get in trouble

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Haha I'm pretty sure he's not going to get in trouble for bringing MMO back to Canada.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default more than you think

Not as simple as you think if mmo is a banned product in Canada mmo is a chemical

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-29-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it will be a problem. I know of several guys over on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum that live in Canada who drive down into Michigan or New York to buy MMO and bring it back into Canada. They buy other stuff too and have no trouble bringing it back home.

Jimmy

Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries coming across the line today, bought myself a case of MMO. The border gaurd had no idea what it was till I explained it to him, he was quite impressed and said he would try some for his yukon 4x4!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by BCdakotaboy
No worries coming across the line today, bought myself a case of MMO. The border gaurd had no idea what it was till I explained it to him, he was quite impressed and said he would try some for his yukon 4x4!
Haha, nice. I didn't think anyone would give you crap for it.

Quick Reply: Short Commute - what do i do?