2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota Engine Control Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
dak4.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Engine Control Problem?

Hi guys, I am new here, and will probably be frequenting this place. I just bought an '02 Dakota ext cab 2wd w/ 4.7v8. This is my first vehicle. Think I got a great deal-input wanted-52,000 miles for 8,500. It is in really good shape. Anyways, it was having inspection done, and I guess you need to drive it for so many miles after they do something with emissions inspection, and I decided I would rather drive it than have some guy beat the thing up. But, last night the engine control light came on and stayed on-implying that I have an engine control problem. But this light also comes on and blinks when it is ready for emissions inspections. Do I have something to worry about?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Try this.

Turn the key on (don't start the truck) then off, on, off, on, off, leave on.

The odometer should display any codes that the CEL is indicating.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Try this.

Turn the key on (don't start the truck) then off, on, off, on, off, leave on.

The odometer should display any codes that the CEL is indicating.
This. I've found that timing is key. I start with key offf, then go to on, when I see the lamps illuminate, off, back on, wait for LED's to turn on, off, on, hold on.

The bulbs illuminate when the PCM reognizes the key is on..about a 1/4-1/2 second delay. don't do it too fast. Just keep trying, slowing down and letting the key stay on longer before you turn it off and back on.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like the seller turned the light off (disconnected battery or cleared codes with a scanner) just to sell the thing. Once the monitors (self-tests) ran, it came back on because the problem was never fixed.

BTW, a blinking check engine light does not mean it's ready for an emissions inspection. It means you have a serious problem and shouldn't be driving the vehicle.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
dak4.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not a check engine light. It is an engine control light. Well, the shop replaced some vacuum lines and that cleared the light-for one day. Came on again today, and I noticed that it was idling roughly. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Dakota Engine Control Problem?