2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 L V-8 Stalls When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
tomgraz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 L V-8 Stalls When Hot

The truck is a 2WD 2002 Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 V-8. It has 270,000 on it. Last week it stalled out and left me on the side of the road. I swapped the relay out with the fog lamps and the AC. That didn't do it. I put a new Precision brand fuel pump in (the whole assembly). No luck. I put a new Bosch pump in thinking the Precision may have been defective, and still no luck.

The truck will start if cold. After 45 minutes it will stall and not start up until it cools. At 30 minutes, it will start with difficulty.

Should I have tried a new relay? The diagram shows the other relays to be the same.

I don't know if it's throwing a code because the check engine light has been on since I've owned it new. I've already been chastised. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by tomgraz; 09-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Try the keydance procedure to get the codes out of the truck, or autozone does it free.

Key on -> dash notification lights turn on -> key off (lights should only be on briefly before keyoff)

repeat 2 more times

codes will be in odometer.

It might take multiple tries to get the codes to spit out- the PCM needs to be on very briefly to recognize the pattern- too fast and it wont power on (it has a small turn-on delay), too slow and it wont enter feedback mode.

Last edited by magnethead; 08-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
tomgraz
Amateur

The "key dance" worked with a caveat. It only showed 1 code, a P0601. I think that is a checksum error for the PCM itself. A mechanic friend brought over his computer and found another error code for the crankshaft position sensor. We replaced that, but still have the problem. My next step is to replace the PCM. Hopefully, that will clear up the check engine light and possibly reveal what the problem may be, if it isn't the PCM itself.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
tomgraz
Amateur

Update.

The PCM was replaced with a re-manufactured unit from allcomputerresources.com. It worked to clear the P0601 error I was getting. And it cleared up the perpetual check engine light. Even better, was it allowed us to see another code after the truck got hot. I don't remember the actual code number, but it was for a faulty cam shaft position sensor. Now the truck runs better than before.

Tom

Quick Reply: 4.7 L V-8 Stalls When Hot