2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

smokes only when

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
dodge_ramit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smokes only when

first, long time creeper, first time poster.**edit: apologies to the mods. please move to correct sub-forum

ok the problem... my dak smokes(bluish-grey/white), but not all the time. it def smells like either burning oil or gas. it may blow a puff of smoke on start up but then it goes away. after driving it and coming to a stoplight(or just idling) it begins smoking again. when i accelerate, i get a last puff and it quits smoking. if i try to back into a spot, it pours smoke again and continues to smoke on idle until i turn it off.

**if it matters, i have smoke coming out of the oil filler too and soot in the tailpipe. it hasnt overheated on me and i dont see any coolant/oil mixing. did notice some oil on the inside top half of airbox(looked like a breather tube?).

i have owned the truck a week now and so far have only replaced the pcv valve and air filter.also used a bottle of injector cleaner in my first tank.

look forward to your vast wisdom and knowledge. thanks in advance

Last edited by dodge_ramit; 09-03-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: edit txt
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

sounds like the valve guides are worn. you might try some marvel mystery oil, in the gas. i dont know it will stop the oil burning, but it should slow the wearing, of the guides.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
dodge_ramit

thanks. i will look into the seals...any way to test them before i tear it apart? is it possible it could be valve stem seals? that came up a lot in my searching.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What motor is it? (Sorry if its in your sig those don't get shown on a mobile device) If its a magnum motor it could possibly be a bad plenum gasket. Theres lots of post about that and a good write up in the 2nd gen ram forum called the end all plenum thread.

Quick Reply: smokes only when