2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

engine stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Dakotaquad
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question engine stuttering

ok this weekend i was up in the pocono mountians in pa and everyonce in awhile the engine would stutter like it wanted to stall for no reason. At first i thought it might have been the gas i bought so i got a stp octane booster and stp engine cleaner. which seemed to help a little but still had the problem. i got back home yesterday and now no problem what so ever so now i am thinking might have been something else what do u guys think?

o yea btw i did just finish my exhaust which is .5" larger then stock all the way threw so not sure if that might have some bareing on this.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Two things come to mind being in the mountains the two things that change would be the MAP sensor it senses air pressure or the air temp sensor would also be affected

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a better description of the stutter; like the condition.. were your idling.. traveling at a constent speed.. Describe what you felt.. what was the rpm gauge doing.. if you gave it some gas (reved the motor) did it stutter while it climbed RPM or did it clear up and reve correctly?>

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran

well it would only happen sometimes when i got to a stop and the idle would drop below 500 rpms. but when i dropped it to nuetral and reved the engine it would be fine. would happen like 2 stops in a row then stop happening. some times while accelerating off the stop that it almost stalled it would feel like it had no power then go back to normal.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you are not low on tranny fluid. If it's low the torque converter will try to stay in lockup when you come to a stop.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dakotaquad
well it would only happen sometimes when i got to a stop and the idle would drop below 500 rpms. but when i dropped it to nuetral and reved the engine it would be fine. would happen like 2 stops in a row then stop happening. some times while accelerating off the stop that it almost stalled it would feel like it had no power then go back to normal.
I'd check your Tranny fluid for the hell of it... but it sounds more like your IAC valve sticking... mine did that when i backed out of the drive way.. from reverse to D. it would bog down and sometimes die..

A good cleaning of the plunger and the hole it's in solved it for a little while.. Sometimes it would idle down below 500 and die for no reason.. give it gas and it runs fine..

I'm actually replacing mine currently because it started acting up again.. not wanting to maintain idle or idle too high.. the thing was clicking and sticking. So I'm replacing mine.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran

ok i will take a look at those things sometimes today or tomorrow.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran

btw i just got a code today for both my upstream o2 sensors getting a high voltage reading which i guess could cause some problems. i was wondering what is the standard brand of o2 sensors for the dakota so i can check the ones on the truck to make sure that the muffler shop didnt put in some stupid cheap ****.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I would personally go with Denso or Delphi.. they have both on RockAuto.com for cheap..

I would stay away from Bosh.. Just because my dad had so many fail on his Ranger.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran

kk thx

Quick Reply: engine stuttering