2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 Dodge dakota starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Anthony Hansen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge dakota starting issues.

So ive got a 99 Dodge dakota V8. When I first encountered the problem I tried to start the truck and there was no turn over no power nothing. Thought maybe it was a dead battery, hooked it up to jumper cables it had power would try to turn over but wouldnt stay started. Was running late for work so left it alone for the time being. Today I went back out tried to start it, has power tries to turn over, but wont unless I give it gas, while im giving it gas it will stay started but immediately dies once i left off the peddle. Also getting Smoke from the exhaust when i give it gas, started as dark smoke then went to white smoke. Any Ideas? and any more information I need to give let me know.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It still could be the battery. The PCM is a bit sensitive to low voltage and if the voltage is low the truck will not run well at all.

Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. If you can, get the battery tested.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
jams engines
Default starting issue

Could need to clean solenoid on the back of throttle body and inside the plunger cavity. I have have the same type of issues with 99 durango and when would get down to quarter tank it would do the same running issues. Need to get some isoprothal gas treetment to get water out. It might take more than one time of putting the bottles in to get rid of all of the water if tank has alot of it in the tank.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
jams engines
Default starting issues

I forgot to tell you to use carb cleaner to use to clean throttle body

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge dakota starting issues.