2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rearview mirror falling down , falling down !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 AM
PonchoRob
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rearview mirror falling down , falling down !

Well , mine has fallen off the windshield ,,, Again !!! Just wondering if anyone had any luck with gluing theirs back on and it staying put longer than a few days , lol ! If so ,, what product did you use ?? Thanks !!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't remember the name of the product but I got it at Kragens. The stuff from the dealer never lasted more than a year - twice!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
dolittle
Veteran

I have had good luck with the napa brand.
Just a tip mark the old glue spot on the out side of the windshield then when you remove the old glue you will know where to install the bracket.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Permatex rear view mirror adhesive lots of times and always had good results.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 AM
PonchoRob
Professional

Hey thanks for the suggestions !! I have just tried a product that has the 3M adhesive on the metal base - which comes in the package - and all you have to do is peel off the backing and stick it to the windshield and wait 24 hrs before remounting the mirror , i closely followed the instructions on the package ,, and we will see how well it holds up tomorrow ,, i will keep ya posted !

Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck! That 24 hr wait stuff is what the dealer used.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

Well the 3m adhesive tape rear view mirror install kit didn't work out too well , it started falling off after a day or so in the sun , seems like it just never set up as it was supposed to for some reason , so i went back to the auto parts store and bought the Permatex " professional " strength stuff that came with the adhesive tube and an adhesion promoter towelette and tried it , so far so good ! I used the towelette on the windshield and the mirror button and smeared the glue all over the button as opposed to " just a drop in the center " as per instructions and let it set up for 15 minutes ( well actually about 3 hrs ) before i put the mirror back on and even after adjusting it a few times it hasn`t moved since !! So i am going to recommend you to try the Permatex professional strength stuff first if your rear view mirror has fallen off .

Quick Reply: Rearview mirror falling down , falling down !