2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Just bought 2002 Dakota, Knocking Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM
offsounder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2002 Dakota, Knocking Noise?

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on my problem. I just recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 2wd with 116,000 from a dealer, and when i test drove it, it seemed to run perfect. I noticed later on that day after i purchased it, that whenever it starts up cold, i hear a noticable ticking/ slight knocking sound coming from the engine. It's barely noticable from the outside under the hood, but inside the cab you can clearly hear it at low rpms. I'm curious to what this could be, lifter noise? or Potentially worse? It seems to definitly go away when the car warms up after a while, but it is still very slightly noticable. Any ideas on what this could be? I dont want to tear apart the top end and start replacing lifters if its indeed something else, and unfortunitly worse. I cannot tell if it is getting worse, but im still shocked that neither myself or my father noticed this when we both took turns driving it, it almost seemed as if it occured the night after i purchased it. (Also, another wierd issue... Truck periodically will not go into park, the shifter lever will go into the park "slot", but the transmission itself will not engage into park, sometimes if i let the truck roll forward a foot it will clunk into park, this happens on and off... is this a linkage issue?)

Thanks guys,

Tim

Last edited by offsounder; 09-27-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

check the mounting bracket for the purge solenoid just left of the brake booster if the bracket is touching the solenoid it will transmit inside the cab and sound like valves or rod knock

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak and there's a national recall for the Dakotas with that shifter problem. Have the dealership check your vin # and see if it's been taken care of yet.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak and there's a national recall for the Dakotas with that shifter problem. Have the dealership check your vin # and see if it's been taken care of yet.
Ditto on the exhaust leak.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

OP didn't say which motor, but default I'd say exhaust leak, but could be lifter tick (I heard it's common on the 5.7, wonder if it's as common on the 4.7?).

Get the recall on the shifter. Sometimes mine goes right in, sometimes it's just neutralized till the pawl grabs.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM
offsounder

Hmm ill have to check the exhaust later tonight, i actually didnt consider that as a possiblility since it really does sound like a tapping. Also with the recall, do i just call the dealer i bought it from and find out if my vehical has been fixed before or not?

Quick Reply: Just bought 2002 Dakota, Knocking Noise?