2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

tranny flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm, not sure i follow you on that one.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 AM
sl2racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got a whine after you changed your trans fluid and made a mess. then you took your truck to the local car wash where you pressure washed the truck clean of tranny fluid right? if so did you have the whine before going to use the pressure washer or after. and while you were pressure washing the underside did you happen to wash the engine bay? you could very easily picked up the whine from getting the pullys wet on the front of the engine.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
DK Pony
Professional

If getting the pulleys wet caused the whine you would think it would go away once everything dried. But no actually I didn't spray off the engine bay. I've done that with other vehicles and caused myself some problems so I don't do that anymore.
I did change the belt tensioner pulley and belt at the same time as the tranny fluid.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

sorry it took a time to get back to you. i may have not been clear. on this site i found an external fuild filter, magna-fine. you can get it at auto-zone. auto zone NO# 2210 it should fit mopar automatic trans, they should be 3/8 tube size. search the inter net for magna-fine, for info from magna-fine. other guys and i use it. this seems to filter, out side the trans, be sure you put in the right direction. lessens the need of to replace the internal filter as often. i have one on my 42 trans, for 7 mo. seems to be fine. be sure to use high pressure hose. you will need to remove some steel tubing. NEVER use any thing but steel tubing on trany coolant lines. but you should not need to add steel tubing, just remove some. and put a bulge at the end of the stock tubing. i had my mechanic do mine. i hope i am clear. i think the guys in this site are the greatest.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
DK Pony
Professional

Ah, so you are suggesting an external remote filter.Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

thats ok. some times my brain doesnt work well. i hope you work out the trouble. i have used thicker than stock fluid, but i wont recmend it, in case something goes wrong. like i said the guys here are great.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
DK Pony
Professional

Thanks.
When I first got it all you could really hear is that idler pulley. It may have had that tranny noise all along.
The tranny was flushed at 35K and 75K so I thought at 108K it would be a good idea to change the filters. Kinda wish I hadn't screwed with it.
I took it to a local transmission shop and let the guy drive it. He said not to worry about it unless it got worse. Sounded like a little torque converter whine to him.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

its hard to find a good trany shop. here in wichita we have a major trany parts supplier, that sales to 90% of the trany shops, in the U.S. and international. check out A & Reds. they can even answer any questions. i have known them since the late 60s.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM
DK Pony
Professional

Thanks for the info. I found out a little something today. I called the Chrysler dealer in town and asked some questions. Turns out that I think they gave me the wrong filter at the local parts store. They never asked me if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive. The dealer claims that there is a difference between the two. Don't know for sure, but I had my wife pick up a dealer filter set and I am going to compare it with what I put on this past weekend. I don't know what the difference is.

I drive a big truck for a living and am 1000 miles from my Dakota at the moment. That's why I haven't even seen the new filter yet.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM
DK Pony
Professional

UPDATE!! PROBLEM SOLVED.

I originally changed the filters and had a noise in the tranny, so I dropped the pan and checked everything and it looked good. Put it back together (2nd time) and still had noise. Dropped the pan and put in OEM filters put it back together(3rd time) then had a leak..dropped pan and found that the pan was slightly warped, probably from all the prying and taking it on and off etc. put it back together (4th time) and all is good so far. Noise is gone, leaks are fixed. Not gonna screw with it EVER again if I can help it.

Quick Reply: tranny flush?