2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help with rear shackle on 4WD dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
sevensandeights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rear shackle on 4WD dakota

First post here - seems like you guys have a nice forum here. I did a google search on "how to fix a Dodge Dakota rear shackle" and several of the results led me to this website.

I am trying to help my father-in-law fix the rear driver's side shackle on his 2000 4x4 extended cab Dakota. The passenger's side broke 2 years ago and he paid the dealer $500 to fix it! I am a Jeep guy and have several CJ's that I wrench on so I said I'd take a look.

My biggest question is about the "inverse shackle" on 4WD Dakotas. It seems like if I put the frame on jack stands to unload the suspension that the leaf spring will fall down into the shackle hanger and I wont have access to the spring eye. Is is this correct? If so, what's the easiest way to get at the spring eye to get the bushing/bolt out. Everything is heavily corroded (they use road salt in my state) so I will as much room as possible to work.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

I replaced both of mine. I took the box off, it was the easiest way to get at everything. Mines an '02 - and I have had the box off before - 6 bolts - fuel filler hose and tail light wiring disconnect thats it. I removed the busted shackles by using PB blaster and a lot of pounding with a mallet and old bolt to get the existing bolt out. I have since gotten an air chisel which makes that part a lot easier. To line up the springs with the new shackles, I believe I put a jack under the springs in front of the wheel which lowered the springs enough to line them up. I may have pics if you would like to see them.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
sevensandeights

By "box" do you mean the bed? That seems crazy to have to take the bed off but it certainly would give you access to everything.

Do you know of any way to get the spring to swing down in front of the frame mounted shackle hanger? His shackle is already broken and the spring is pinned up against the bed. I am hoping that if I jack up the frame and unload the suspension that the spring will fall down - it just seems like it wouldn't clear the bracket. If it doesn't clear the bracket then I can't get the bolts out since the nuts are on the outside and the bolt will have to be driven inward but the frame is in the way.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

Originally Posted by sevensandeights
By "box" do you mean the bed? That seems crazy to have to take the bed off but it certainly would give you access to everything.

Do you know of any way to get the spring to swing down in front of the frame mounted shackle hanger? His shackle is already broken and the spring is pinned up against the bed. I am hoping that if I jack up the frame and unload the suspension that the spring will fall down - it just seems like it wouldn't clear the bracket. If it doesn't clear the bracket then I can't get the bolts out since the nuts are on the outside and the bolt will have to be driven inward but the frame is in the way.
Right, I meant the bed. It is actually quite easy to get the bed off, you will need help to take it off the frame or a set of chain falls to raise it up and off. And yes it is quite difficult to get at the bolts to beat them out.

Quick Reply: Help with rear shackle on 4WD dakota