2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Painting Interior Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Danny52186
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Interior Dash

i Wanna paint my Dash just like the pic i have added here 00 dodge dakota its just simply snaps off.. anyone know what kind of paint i can use to paint it like that like would i just use some red spray paint or some kind of enamel spray paint.. help would be appreciated in what i use to paint that.. thnx alot ne feed back would be awesome!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny52186
i Wanna paint my Dash just like the pic i have added here 00 dodge dakota its just simply snaps off.. anyone know what kind of paint i can use to paint it like that like would i just use some red spray paint or some kind of enamel spray paint.. help would be appreciated in what i use to paint that.. thnx alot ne feed back would be awesome!
Are you trying to match body color? or get close to it? Last time i was at my local Advance Auto Parts, i thought i saw Duplicolor had one, but go to http://www.duplicolor.com/products/ to find the one you need. OR you can go with ...

Krylon Fusion is a good idea aswell.. its specifically designed for plastic, with NO sanding.

i would suggest Duplicolor..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Always think what if this doesn’t work

Whatever you use remember these dash parts are very expensive to buy new and it could be a non-stocked part or can’t get part now. I would check on that before you do this Paint never sticks to plastic very well even the good stuff will chip off as time goes by.

The price of new may shock you, you may be able to get a junkyard replacement.

I suggest finding a junkyard one to paint first as an insurance policy if you trash it you still have your original to put back on.

Always think what if this doesn’t work what’s my backup plan

Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt worry about finding a replacement one. They can be found for very cheap. I think I still have a spare one from my dakota in my shed. I got it at the junk yard for 5.00. Get the krylon fusion stuff and should be fine. Its meant for on chairs and tables and other things so I would think it would hold up fine.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default know your options

dodgeramguy85 that depends on where you live in Arizona Dakota parts are very hard to find in junkyards actually they are very hard to find in Arizona.

Just check things out before you paint is all I’m saying get a backup plan and know your options.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Danny52186

Naw im not worried about matching the paint color that much as long as it is red i just think that would look good a little custom touch... i can go to walmart and get the Dupicolor vinyl coating in red or the krylon fusion in red. if you guys had to choose which one you would go with can like to know everyones preference in which would be best and also about how many cans should just one can be enough to paint that?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

I just painted the face of mine back in the day with red. I cleaned the board real nice, masked it up, and painted paint for plastic on there. I used a light grit wet sandpaper between coats and finished it off with a clear coat.

Quick Reply: Painting Interior Dash