2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ticking sound at startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ticking sound at startup

I have not really noticed this for very long; or at least I do not think I have; when cold start up and the very first 1-2 seconds there is a tick tick tick tick tick.. almost sounds like an exhaust leak. (How a pin hole leak would sound) could probably also describe the sound as like a putting a very thin piece of construction paper against a fan.. can't really catch it video.. if you give it gas it goes faster (while its ticking).. but goes away right away.. after the 1-2 second mark.

Only seems to do it after it's cold; as in sat overnight..

Wanting some opinions on going about trying to figure out what it is.. I'm thinking maybe the exhaust manifold is leaking and maybee its sealing right after startup?

I have no idea.. Truck is running the best it ever has... any advise on what/how to look for this mystery sound would be great.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would assume something on or in the block, heat shield, i had a similar situation with my dakota, it would tick in park, come to find out it was the cover for the flexplate and toruqe converter, it was missing a couple bolts.

ticking then 2 seconds later it dicipated, i would venture a logical guess of heat shield.. or that cover i described. i am sorry i couldnt provide much more information.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id lean more towards lifters. After it sits the oil will leak out of one of them and on a cold start it takes a second to pump oil back into it. When it does the ticking goes away. I think if it were an exhaust leak it would take longer than 1-2 seconds to go away. My moms 4.7 had an exhaust leak and took at least 3 minutes of driving to go away.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I was thinking lifters.. just started doing it recently though as far as I know. the oil and lifters is very plausible probally just one of the lifters though.. other wise it would be a fast passed tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

But instead its only a tick tick tick tick I'd say about 4 and it stops..

Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one bad in mine. Ticks about 4 times. Each one progressively quieter than the first.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd go with lifters.

If it does it consistently, you can know for sure by doing this- pull the ignition relay, and spin it over on the starter for about 15 seconds to prime the oil system. The motor may spin too slow to hear the lifter ticking, but it will prime oil to the top of the motor. Put the relay back in, and if it is a lifter, it won't tick when you start it because there will already be oil up there.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I will try and do that.. fun part is figuring out which one is the problem child.. LOL.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 AM
magnethead
Legend

With the camaro, we always spin it over until it shows 70psi then we turn the ignition on so that it never has a dry start.

If you haven't done any keggar mods or changed the seal, then it may not be a bad idea to pull the intake and change all the lifters and do some preventive maintenance while you're in there.

That said, after User's fire, I'm afraid to do damn near anything to do with the injectors or the fuel rail.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

That's probally because people either do not re-condition their O rings or never replace them. I'm of the kind of mind when dealing with any gasket or O ring I like to replace no matter what to ensure good seals.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
That's probally because people either do not re-condition their O rings or never replace them. I'm of the kind of mind when dealing with any gasket or O ring I like to replace no matter what to ensure good seals.
User's fire was due to a replaced O-ring i believe.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...447-r-i-p.html

Last edited by magnethead; 11-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound at startup