2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

advice for 5.9 rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default advice for 5.9 rebuild??

i have started the tear down of the 5.9 engine the other day. After i the block from the machine shop, i would really like to start rebuilding it. My problem is that i have know idea when it comes the numbers ( via camshaft, lifters, and crank, etc). what makes for a good combo, and (of course) bang for your buck.

here is the current situation. the current 5.9 that is on it's way to the machine shop. it is out of a 01 durango r/t with 163 miles on it. when i am done rebuilding it, it will go in my 01 durango r/t. then that motor will get rubilt too and put in my 97 dakota. pricey,, yes. but cheaper than buying a new car and truck. plus i will know what has been done. so i will be going through this twice.

both engines will be daily drivers and work trucks. i would like to add more hp and torq but not loose the gas milage. if that is possible. any advice and input would be nice.

thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call up Comp Cams. Tell them what you want to get out of the motors and what they will be used for and they can tell you about everything you want to know and get you set up with a good combo.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You usually cant make more than a few hp before you start loosing mpg. Every motor has a fine line of where you can add a touch more mpg and power. You cant expect to dump in more fuel and not lose mpg its just not possible.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
You usually cant make more than a few hp before you start loosing mpg. Every motor has a fine line of where you can add a touch more mpg and power. You cant expect to dump in more fuel and not lose mpg its just not possible.
sorta.

Which gears to both have? 3.55's?

Me personally, I would make the durango a 408 stroker. It will pull the extra weight better. Yes it's 48 more cubic inches, but the motor won't be as loaded and you won't need as much throttle to make it move.

The dakota you can either stay at 360 or go 408. If you're always going to have weight in it or be towing, 408 for same reason as durango. If not, stay 360.

JMO

Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the advice! now i have another question about heads. what would be a good cylinder head to look into?? since i have been loosing antifreeze with no noticable leaks. i was told that the factory heads were known for cracking and allowing coolant to leak thru the exhaust.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladek
thanks for the advice! now i have another question about heads. what would be a good cylinder head to look into?? since i have been loosing antifreeze with no noticable leaks. i was told that the factory heads were known for cracking and allowing coolant to leak thru the exhaust.
first off, check the heads just to make sure.

If you want to go aftermarket, just look for stock 360 mopar heads, but realize that I don't think the old-skool 360 heads will fit a new-skool 360 due to the emissions BS and sensors.

hughes took the stock design, and basically fixed it the way it should have been at the factory

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...6&partid=22248

Last edited by magnethead; 11-15-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: advice for 5.9 rebuild??