2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'Wow' moments with your Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can safely say my truck has never been airborne..However I did head out on a trip to South Carolina back in July 2007 and I hit a deer when I was going about 75 mph on the interstate. It did $3,500.00 in damage and I was still able to drive the truck over 80 miles back home to the body shop and still go 60 mph getting there.

I drove my truck over half the summer in 2010 with the e-fan disconnected. I didn't even know it until August came and the A/C just was not as cold as it should have been. I had been in another wreck in April 2010 and the body shop forgot to plug in the fan when they put it back together, but it still ran just fine with only the mechanical fan.

What amazes me is how reliable my truck is. It always starts up with just a blip of the ignition key, it runs very well for its age, nice and smooth and it gets decent gas mileage. It's not the fastest truck in town but it has never let me down and never left me walking. Sure I have done some work to it, but who hasn't had to work to keep their truck running well? The parts that I have replaced all lasted well beyond what I would consider normal time and mileage. I had a couple of Chevy's in the past and I seriously doubt I could say the same about those trucks. My old Jeep Comanche was pretty tough too, come to think of it.

My truck is the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. That is what I like best and am most impressed with about my Dakota. It has been and still is a damn good truck and I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off or I am too old to drive it, which ever happens first.

Jimmy

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
chris1996
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
"Wow this thing is a piece of sh*t" comes up more then "Wow this truck is awesome". Way too many problems...
hahaha that is happening to me but it has some good things loaded it with 900lbs and it was like if the bed was empty

Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

All I can say is this has been the most reliable running smooth riding truck I have owned even with the 2.5 engine. I never had a complaint about the truck it’s a city truck so no snow or mud to deal with the only trouble was with the A/C but that was mostly caused by the shop that trashed the system for me. 14 almost 15 years on her and the first 12 years I didn’t do anything but regular stuff on her brakes belts oils filters so on. I’m keeping her for many more years she is part of the family now couldn’t see being without her in my driveway.

Hope to soon get a second Dakota with a V8 or V6 if I can find one at a good price. But Im not sure I could let my trusty 2.5 sit on the side too much we have history together that spans time.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

Had this truck for 2 years. Been a real good truck. Got me out of few mud holes. The 4.7 to me is a good motor. I step on it from a dead stop and with out hesitation she goes off the line quick and doesn't look back.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
I've gotten airborne in this truck, I take it out in the mud (2wd, open rear end, 3.9)
Thanks for reminding me. Was up past the sidewalls of all 4 tires in mud, and I still [somehow] got out....

Originally Posted by jlampitt
magnethead, you got some raised eyebrows and a hearty chuckle out of me with your post. I'd give that five stars!
dako_LG_slowmo.gif

Not quite up on 2 wheels here, but it got there

008_2.jpg

Told a stop sign what I thought of it's placement

I was in a rally race similar to bullrun, but more "legal friendly"..bs...my codriver and I against a mazda on some long stretch of highway, we both opened them up. Not sure if they chickened out or if their limiter is set low, but the truck stopped at 115 or so and I was towing them a bit.

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

[note the clod of dirt on the mirror?]

Last edited by magnethead; 12-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Ive done so much stuff in mine, mudding, jumped it multiple times. (how do theses things always land flat or a little bit *** first, always thought it would nose into death)

Ran 110mph on the freeway for about 70 miles (whats the speed limiter set at? never had the guts to test it)

I've had mine on two wheels, hit 2 decent bucks, rear ended a Chrysler 300 (I hope that was the loud crunch pop bang) that drove off so I just checked damage and well my license plate holder was cracked that's it, nothing 2 bolts cant fix.

One thing that amazed me the most was hitting ice at 55mph I locked it in 4wd while going sideways, his the gas a little, and it straitened itself out.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg

Ran 110mph on the freeway for about 70 miles (whats the speed limiter set at? never had the guts to test it)
Mine is at 110... But there is a way to bypass it. When you're near the limiter, turn the key (yeah, kind of dangerous cause you've got to take one hand off, better if a passenger is present) and it shuts off all the electronics. You'll see all the gauges shut off, and the RPM's will keep climbing. And it doesn't engage the starter in case you're wondering. But I wouldn't do this for a long period of time.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Mine is at 110... But there is a way to bypass it. When you're near the limiter, turn the key (yeah, kind of dangerous cause you've got to take one hand off, better if a passenger is present) and it shuts off all the electronics. You'll see all the gauges shut off, and the RPM's will keep climbing. And it doesn't engage the starter in case you're wondering. But I wouldn't do this for a long period of time.
Or use a tuner to tell the PCM where to shove the thought of limiting speed I didn't have the SCT or 4.10s back then, I think it locked at 3000rpm in 4th, so between 105 and 110.
Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
I(how do theses things always land flat or a little bit *** first, always thought it would nose into death)
As long as you keep it decked, the inertia of the rear tires will keep it nose up/tail down. I usually lift right when I lose grip to keep it off the limiter, then re-deck it just before landing. So mine usually lands nose-down a touch.

Last edited by magnethead; 12-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM
jlampitt
Professional

Magnethead, thanks for the pics!!

And for the rest of you Dukes of Hazzard types... I would have never guessed these trucks could get airborne - and keep on driving after the landing.

*Someone* has to get that on video!!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by jlampitt
Magnethead, thanks for the pics!!

And for the rest of you Dukes of Hazzard types... I would have never guessed these trucks could get airborne - and keep on driving after the landing.

*Someone* has to get that on video!!
Now we're not talking 40 feet airborne haha. But for what they are, they can take some pretty good landings really. Lots of iron in the front suspension.

Quick Reply: 'Wow' moments with your Dakota