2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Dakota 5.2L No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Nick Thill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anymore ideas?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Jeff Phares

I am interested to get an answer on this. My 97 with 5.2 is doing the exact same thing. I replaced the Crank sensor, cam sensor and the ignition coil. I have the same symptoms as you, no spark, no fuel, with key on, the security light eventually comes on, the low fuel light comes on and the odometer flashes. I also cannot get a link with the OBD scanner. From everything i have read, it looks like the PCM is dead. I did try to probe light mine tonight, it seems that power is going TO the PCM, but the wires that i can tell that should go to the fuel pump have no voltage coming out.

I am interested if anyone comes up with anything else.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Nick Thill

Originally Posted by Jeff Phares
I am interested to get an answer on this. My 97 with 5.2 is doing the exact same thing. I replaced the Crank sensor, cam sensor and the ignition coil. I have the same symptoms as you, no spark, no fuel, with key on, the security light eventually comes on, the low fuel light comes on and the odometer flashes. I also cannot get a link with the OBD scanner. From everything i have read, it looks like the PCM is dead. I did try to probe light mine tonight, it seems that power is going TO the PCM, but the wires that i can tell that should go to the fuel pump have no voltage coming out.

I am interested if anyone comes up with anything else.
hi jeff,
yes same exact symptoms except i have no security light. are you sure that your alarm is not activated? i have an alarm on my truck but my remote key fob is dead, but from what ive read the alarm will allow the truck to start and run for a second then shut off. can anyone confirm this? i think i am going to bite the bullet and get a new pcm within the next week. i used this chart http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...4&d=1301710664 to test voltage. i had 11v at a2 and i had 12v from the auto shutdown relay but mostly everything else was 0v. do you have pressure to the fuel rail? because i do just no power to the injectors. if you would like an easier way to contact me about anything you can email me at thtjdmsupra@aim.com. maybe the two of us can solve this issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is exactly how the factory alarm works on my 01 durango.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Nick Thill

Originally Posted by Vladek
that is exactly how the factory alarm works on my 01 durango.
so it runs for a second and shuts down?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep. found that out when the kids played a trick on me.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes if your battery goes dead on you and you install a new battery sometimes the anti-theft kicks in and shuts down the truck every time you try to start it.

How you reset it I don’t know ask Vladek sounds like he knows

Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Nick Thill

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Yes if your battery goes dead on you and you install a new battery sometimes the anti-theft kicks in and shuts down the truck every time you try to start it.

How you reset it I don’t know ask Vladek sounds like he knows

thats not the issue im having

Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Jeff Phares

i checked voltage at the PCM. Looks like i am getting voltage in, but nothing coming out, and since the OBD reader wont connect, i am pretty certain that is the problem. I ordered a PCM yesteday, they said it should get programmed and shipped today. I should get it friday and will update once i get it installed <crossing fingers>

Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Very possible that the low voltage could have killed the PCM for the OP. Mine just failed out of the blue. But if a computer module/power regulator is designed to run on 15 volts (remember the alt charges at 14.4+ripple) and it only has 8, it can exceed some breakdown junctions which will cause it to no longer work.

Quick Reply: 98 Dakota 5.2L No Spark