2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Difference between 02 and 03 Dakota???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Not entirely true there is usually a fine line where you can bump up hp and mpg a little bit. Then after that you gain hp but lose mpg. Having a tranny that shifts better will get better mpg. I added a tuner to my 5.2 and I saw a increase in power and mpg.
That's because the factory timing curve doesn't allow for a complete burn, so you have to keep your foot in it. Once he moves the timing where it belongs, you get more power, you don't have to be on it as much, you save fuel. Like removing the clutch fan and adding the roller rockers. They add HP a little bit (the rockers), but moreso, they (fan + rockers) reduce drag, which reallocates existing power, as well as making more power.

See: Gross HP vs Net HP.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
stealth13
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-poke
Really? is that all city driving or some highway too? Do you have any mods done? I think the 2003 4.7 4x4 is rated at 13 mpg city, 14 average, and 17 highway. So that would sound about right if that was all city driving.
Mixed but on the highway I'm pulling a trailer with quads.

Quick Reply: Difference between 02 and 03 Dakota???