2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cheap Dakota Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
SPUNKMEYER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Dakota Lift

I have a 97 Dakota slt and was wondering what i need to do to raise th tuck up with out buying a lift kit.

Will the durango springs work on the dakotas to lift it?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Crank up your torsion bars, it will level the front and back out. It is dirt cheap and it may be all you need. Why are you wanting to lift it in the first place?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it 2WD or 4WD? It makes a big difference.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
SPUNKMEYER

its 2wd with armed front end.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2WD - You can buy coil spacers for pretty cheap, or switch out your coils for V8 coils - some members have said they got about an inch. You could also buy a 3 inch body lift from PA for $250

4WD - You can crank your torsion bars for free, get about 1-2 inches. You could also by the body lift. And you can also add a leaf in the rear, or buy block lifts. All for pretty cheap.

But Tom's right, a little more info on your truck would help

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
SPUNKMEYER

ok understand. but will the durango springs work on the dakota.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran

im going to add my $.02, before i start. open the link below in a seperate tab(or window).
it is the picture of my design.
www.mydakotabuild.com/images/design.jpg

i have designed my own body lift. its a 6" body lift. it mainly consists of black iron pipe, floor flanges and a bunch of hardware.

note if this design is implimented by someone bear in mind, the taller you go, the larger the diameter of the pipe, I WOULDNT GO HIGHER THAN 8-10" but im ballsy as fck.. before everyone starts firing off at the blow off valves about safety, i do intend on bracing this with cross members. i do welcome input on design changes and such...

i came up with this modification while writing this.. i was only cutting the mounts off the cab because one is rotten off. the other 3 are fine, just bolts stuck in there.. nothing heat and vicegrips wont fix. so im thinking leave the 3 on there keep the design i got, but just modify the length of the pipe to compensate the height of the mount. basically take 1.5" off the pipe on 3, and leave the 4th full length to compensate for the missing mount

well thats my $.02. let me know what yall think

as for the rango springs on a dak.. i dont think so rears are off set .25" each side of the rear leafs, and the on the daks use gas shocks and torsion bars. no front end springs.. could however pull the torsion bars off a rango and use them on a dak. they should fit the lower arms no problem.

Last edited by Wes Garrett; 01-21-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I pulled the coil springs from a 5.2 durango, stuck them in my V6 dakota, gained an inch.

rear leafs, I think the leaf packs themselves are the same (Don't quote me on that), but something about how the durango springs mount to the frame, make the durango springs have a wider perch width.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran

Originally Posted by magnethead
I pulled the coil springs from a 5.2 durango, stuck them in my V6 dakota, gained an inch.

rear leafs, I think the leaf packs themselves are the same (Don't quote me on that), but something about how the durango springs mount to the frame, make the durango springs have a wider perch width.

ya thats what i meant. haha..

Quick Reply: Cheap Dakota Lift