2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power locks without power widows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
alaskajeff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power locks without power widows?

When I had my door panels off recently I noticed an actuator with wires hooked up to it attached to my door locks. BUT I don't have a door lock switch anywhere. I have manual crank windows. Is this normal?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

My very best guess is related to security system/keyless entry/something down them lines. My worst guess is that the actuator is there from the factory on all doors, which I find unlikely.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you bought the truck used it sounds like the previous owner may have installed an aftermarket alarm or a keyless entry system. Especially if you see a silver colored or chrome colored rod attached to the door lock rod with a brass or maybe silver jam nut block with two allen head set screws or maybe small phillips head screws on it. Also nearly all aftermarket actuators will have one green wire and one blue wire on them. The actuator itself would have been mounted down low in the door and it may be a bluish-green or black color.

Maybe the previous owner did not remove the alarm or keyless entry unit but they kept the remote controls for it. You can check under the dash on the driver's side for an alarm keyless entry module, or maybe evidence that some of the wiring under the dash has had connections made to it, probably at the ignition switch wire harness. If the module is still in place you might be able to buy a new remote control for it cheap and program it to the existing module...You would need to get the module down so you can get the manufacturer and model number off it.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Power locks without power widows?