2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CRAZY trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Majorrush
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAZY trans issue

Hey guys and girls. Okay I have been an auto tech since 1976 and I have done my share of R&R on trannys but have never ever done a rebuild or even adjusted bands for that mater. The problem I have is with my own 2000 dakota 2wd with a 4.7 This started like the flick of a switch. So I am sort of ruleing out a mechanical problem at this point. What happened is I just pulled out of my doce office. (knee surgury yesterday) and as soon as I pulled away it shifted fine. The next gear was not so good. RPM shot up 500rpm, from 2000 to 2500. I lifted off the gas and it shifted when I got up to 45 it was bucking just a little like it had a PO3-- of some sort. I headed to the shop and scaned it and came up with a P1698 NO TRASMISSION BUS MESSAGE. Now understand I have an auto start on the truck and sometimes it throws strange codes when using it. I also pull a small camper in the summer 3500lb. I have been using the auto start and pulling the trailer since the truck was brand new in 2000. The fluid is changed every year as is the rear axel fluid with modifier. Trans is full and spotless clean and I use chrysler fluid not our shops bulk stuff and mobile one in the engine always. This is the first REAL problem I have ever had in 119,000 miles. I took it to a friend who has a tranny shop and I thought maybe it was the govener switch and or selonoid. He informed me that my trans does not have them. So he dropped the pan and thought it was some plate ( I do not know its name) that have been know to crack in half. It is about 9 inches long and about an inch or so wide. But that was fine. He put it back togeather and reprogrammed the trans control module as there was a TSB about this. It worked. FOR A DAY now it is getting a whole bunch worse. The RPM are now going to 2500 then shifting a bit harder at 3000RPM when I lift to get it to shift. Is the code real or false due to the auto start? Could it be my TPS? Speed-o is fine but tach jumps up and it feels like a short slip before shifting I really need to get it fixed as I have been out of work since 11-26-12 with this knee. Now that the surgury is done and I am fixed I need to fix the truck. HELP In PA.
Thanks
Dave

Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorrush
Could it be my TPS?
This was my first thought. It's probably NOT the problem, but it only takes a minute to check it with a scanner.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Majorrush

I will give the TPS a scan/test on Monday and since the light came back on today I will see if code P1698 is back. But I did use the auto strat this moning due to the snow we got last night. I am thinking TCM. Tomorrow morning I will check all the fuses even the hidden ones behind the dash that rarly blow.
Anyone else have any ideas or seen this before?
Thanks
Dave

Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Majorrush

BTW...Tom nice ride you got there

Quick Reply: CRAZY trans issue