2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thinking of buying a Dakota! Have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Custer
I looked at the CL link you posted... The truck pictured is a 2005 or later body style, what's the build date inside the door panel?
Uh, you sure? It sure looks like a regular old second gen to me.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
5hundo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Custer
Not true...My 04 4X4 QC had the ball joint issue. I bought it in Sep of 2012 with 110K for $6500 and have done the following myself except for an alignment after a torsion bar lift/leveling:
No particular order...
Replaced fog light and rear brake/cargo bulbs.
Painted undercoating under rockers.
Installed new PCV valve.
Removed aftermarket auto start and installed a new one.
Tinted the windows.
Removed lower front bumper paint and repainted.
New brakes on all 4 corners.
New front upper ball joints.
New front sway bar bushings.
New front shocks.
Replaced air filter.
New plugs.
Changed the oil & filter.
Removed and cleaned the throttle body intake.
Fixed CC by repairing a hole in the servo.
Replaced front main oil seal (crankshaft).
New water pump.
Removed the mechanical fan.
I count only 6 of these taks, which would not be considered "routine maintenance" or voluntary upgrades, and of those 6, a couple of those are even pretty routine. Bushings are rubber, or poyurethane and are intended to fail after a decade, or two. Shocks are also a normal wear item. Even water pumps go out on a lot of vehicles, at around 100k-150k, so I might even call that a very common job. So really, only a couple of those items really hold water as a case against the Dakota's reliability. That being said, I've seen Chevy 2500s with less miles than mine, where the rings and/or valve seats were shot, and the motor was fouling plugs with wet oil.

Were you expecting not to have to change the oil, or spark plugs on your Dakota? Light bulbs...? For the record, my DAK hasn't blown a single light bulb, since it was new. The only exception to that is two license plate lights that were broken in one of the aforementioned rear-endings.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
Uh, you sure? It sure looks like a regular old second gen to me.
My bad...I was looking at it via my phone and the angle of the first picture in the ad looked like the 05.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

That truck will suit your needs fine, but I would look for a V8. (But I am also biased)

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5hundo
I count only 6 of these taks, which would not be considered "routine maintenance" or voluntary upgrades, and of those 6, a couple of those are even pretty routine. Bushings are rubber, or poyurethane and are intended to fail after a decade, or two. Shocks are also a normal wear item. Even water pumps go out on a lot of vehicles, at around 100k-150k, so I might even call that a very common job. So really, only a couple of those items really hold water as a case against the Dakota's reliability. That being said, I've seen Chevy 2500s with less miles than mine, where the rings and/or valve seats were shot, and the motor was fouling plugs with wet oil.

Were you expecting not to have to change the oil, or spark plugs on your Dakota? Light bulbs...? For the record, my DAK hasn't blown a single light bulb, since it was new. The only exception to that is two license plate lights that were broken in one of the aforementioned rear-endings.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!
Dude...You completely misunderstood my post. I never said anything in regards to "Dakota's reliability". I simply was letting the OP know what I have done and of course most were cosmetic, routine or required. I stated price and mileage and what I wanted to do to it and what was needed. I like a clean starting point when I buy a used vehicle.

Now the case for the upper ball joints is a different story. You said the 04's weren't affected. My 04 was affected...Crappy ball joints that were lacking zerk grease fittings. The ball joints failed just like the previous years...Metal on metal!

Last edited by Custer; 02-11-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary information.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest getting a 4x4 since you will possibly going to remote location with a trailer in two which can get harry in a hurry. The V6 will probably be ok for light towing. I prefer the 4.7 myself bc of fuel economy/ power ration vs. the V6

Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check and make sure your rubber boots are in good shape over the cv joints and that they don't have any play in them. Put greasable balljoints on it and check them every oil change. I've gotten 100,000 miles out of my balljoints so far but I keep them greased. Don't trust a shop to grease them. Not using 4wd doesn't help because these trucks don't have lockouts even if you are in 2wd your front axles and driveshaft spin from the road turning the wheels. I've had more trouble with cv joints getting the rubber boots torn than anything else and usually by the time you catch it its too late. But then again I'm down in the timber with my truck on a daily basis.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 AM
jacob25119

Sounds good. Thanks for all the advice! Form what I am hearing this is a good truck and should be a good buy as long as it was well maintained. I am looking at the truck tomorrow so If it looks good then Ill probably buy it! Ill be sure to take a look at everything and pay close attention to the front suspension.

Anything else I should consider before buying it?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by jacob25119
Anything else I should consider before buying it?
I would try to check the diff. Tell him that you want to take it to a mechanic, and have them inspect the rear axle. Look for metal on the magnet in the bottom of the axle, and look for the retainer clips to be missing. If that's happened, it's not a "deal breaker", as long as the ring and pinion are okay. If it's not 100%, low-ball the offer by $1500 and have a mechanic you trust install a Detroit tru trac.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Dakota! Have questions!