2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

improving mpg

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM
eboula24
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default improving mpg

So, I bought my 99 Dakota 5.2with 102k about 5 months ago and its my 1st dodge. I love the truck, but definitely needs some improvements, especially with my current 10ish mpg. 1st order of business, fix the plenum issue. I plan on getting the hughes al. plate and whatever else I need as far as gaskets (inc. intake etc) also a new thermostat 180 or something of the like. I found a mechanic that will help me and charge me 150 plus a case of beer afterwards. I think replacing all applicable gaskets and curbing oil consumption will be a help with mpg among a myriad of other things. I will change the oil after this and put in a full synthetic made by a company in ohio..aerospace something or other, awesome stuff (sorry I cant remember their full name, but its the #1 racing oil in japan if that helps) ive used this stuff before and saw a 4-5 mpg increase (in my 84 Camaro) with just 2 quarts of it (can be mixed with any oil syn or not) an acquaintance of mine put it in his lawn mower and decreased his consumption from 2 tanks to one half a tank to mow his lawn. anyway, after that I plan on getting an sct tuner, which will give me a performance option (I was told by my friend whose a distributor of approximately 25hp increase/30 ft/tq) which also has an economy tune I can apply. I believe with all this that I will get my truck to at least the 20 mpg range (at least highway) I do all this because I love this truck and want to be able to afford to keep driving it. does anyone have any other input that might help or comments/experience etc?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, this is the ram section, not the dakota. Any way, you might try sea foaming it when you do the oil, this usually helps older vehicles get a little better fuel economy. These engines are hogs tho, IMO you'll be lucky to see 15 mpg...and also, I think it's a little ambitious to expect 25 hp from the tuner on an otherwise stock engine...if you were running a custom tune with an m1 intake, 50 mm tb, full exhaust, and maybe some HS rockers then I might believe it...I think your distributor friend is blowing smoke. The sct tuners are really good tho, def get it!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Brian_
Captain

put smaller tires on it and you'll get better mpgs

Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't really help the mpgs on our trucks. I have an exhaust, cai, and sct tuner. I barely get anything. It had synthetic oil ran it in since day 1 of the truck too. Probably around 11-12 i would say.

I would do the plenum like mostly everyone says on here. (It's on my to-do list still). Then i would do a tune up. Sparkplugs, wires, cap, ect. That might help a little, but you have to try it first to find out.

I heard of the seafoaming too. I never really did major research on it, but it might be worth a shot.

And like Brian said, get smaller tires. It will help your gas mileage some too.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
eboula24
Amateur

I didn't mention that my truck is lowered 5 inches, tho I do have 10'' tires in the back. im looking at the post and it is listed under 2nd gen Dakota..so im not sure I follow it being in the ram section. i 'think' the quote i got was 22 hp 30 tq on the tuner, but we'll see. i know with fair certainty that no one here is probably using this oil that i speak of, but when ive used it in the past ive seen great results. the 4-5 mpg increase in the Camaro was for city mpg, my mpg highway went up to 30 mpg, it had never gotten over 17 before. anyway, the proof is in the pudding, so i wont say anymore till ive actually done the work and seen some results good or bad. thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: improving mpg